Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintenance Schedule

johnsons1480

Did a search and came up with some info to start this thread from a few posts. I wanted to come up with a thread showing all maintenance you do to your CZ 75s and at what round count. I've found the following to be fairly consistent recommendations so far.

• Replace fiber optic rod at least yearly
  • Buy a replacement slide stop. At 10k rounds, start using the spare slide stop in matches and keep the old one for practice.
  • Replace main spring ever 10k rounds
  • Replace recoil spring every 5k rounds
  • Replace trigger return spring every 10k rounds

I would like to get the conversation started on what you guys do or recommend. I've only got a little over 1k on my pistol in the month since I've gotten it, but I know these milestones will come up quick.

Also, what does your cleaning schedule look like? I did the trigger job and degreased the gun when I got it. I oiled the gun and greased the slide rails, and didn't touch it again for the first 1k rounds. When I passed 1k, I just put more oil in there since it didn't look particularly dirty.

Every 5,000 rounds:
  • Replace fiber rod.
  • Strip and detail clean.
Every 10,0000 rounds:
  • Replace slide stop.
  • Replace trigger-return, main, and recoil springs.
Every 20,000 rounds:
  • Replace firing pin and firing-pin spring.
  • Replace extractor, extractor pin, and extractor spring.

I put a couple drops of oil in various places when the pistol starts feeling dry.

Edited by Andreas

I'll answer in reverse order. After matches (if I remember), dry bore snake. Ensure slide is lubed, along with sear assembly, trigger, trigger bar, and hammer/strut are lubed for matches. Will do a complete tear down and cleaning 2-4 weeks prior to major matches. That way I will have at least one local match and/or multiple practice sessions to ensure everything works okay. Looking at records, I do a complete tear down and cleaning around 5k-7k rnds. Field strip and clean with BreakFree based on how dirty the pistol looks.

Slide stops I use until they break (I track rnd counts so know when they have broken--side note below). However, if the slide stop is reaching a point where I think it might break based on experience, I will replace for a major match and then go back the old slide stop until it fails. If it breaks at a local match or practice, it is no big deal. I always have a spare with me.

Trigger return springs are a different issue. Again since I track maintenance/repair/breakage I know roughly when the spring should break. Will change it out when it is in the range to break. Especially, if a major match is coming up. Ditto extractor for major matches and then go back to the old one until it breaks. I believe I have only had one break in 65k rnds. However, after a major match will put the old in and use until it breaks. Replace extractor spring when I replace the extrator after breakage.

Recoil spring approximately 5k rnds. FP springs only changed once in 65k rnds. Switched to CGW reduced power spring with the installation of their 8 lb main spring.

FPB spring never.

Mag springs. About every 12-18 months. If the springs are getting week, I will have unexplained miss feeds. Again, if a major match is coming up and I'm in the 12-18 month range. Replace. Don't go back to the old ones--just pitch them.

Side note on slide stops. I've had them last for 27k rnds and as few as 8k. If the slide stop has 8-10k and a major match is coming up, I will change it. And, then go back to the old one after the match and use until breakage or another major match.

Oh yes, it is an SP01.

• 2 weeks later...

To put the two posts together, I made this chart. Correct me if you think something needs to be changed, and let me know if there are any additions.

Detail Strip/Full Cleaning

Replace Fiber Rod

Replace Recoil Spring

Replace Hammer Spring

Replace Slide Stop

Replace Trigger Return Spring

Replace Extractor

Replace Extractor Pin

Replace Extractor Spring
ETA: I can't make a chart to save my life on this forum. If someone knows how, please tell me.
Edited by johnsons1480

• 2 months later...