Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag clarification

zaphar

Howdy, I'm looking for clarification on the mags used in the witness pistols. From what I've read so far, there are at least four different types of mags: a small frame and three large frame (two of which I have in the pictures below, the other being the K series). Is this correct, are there any other types?

post-18473-0-47897300-1356070900_thumb.j

I'm trying to figure out magazine compatibility (might be buying another witness) but in doing so came across information that there are several versions of the same type of mags. I am actually having problems with the black follower mags that I have in the picture, but from what I understand, they are the version that replaced the orange follower mags. The orange followers seem to work better since the black ones are deforming which fail to engage the slide lock when there are no cartridges in the magazine. The black follower mags also become stuck in the magazine well and require force to be applied from the top while, pressing the magazine release, in order to eject. Would it be possible to replace the black followers with new orange ones? On that note, why did the manufacturer switch to the softer black plastic, they seem to wear faster? Here are some pictures of my problem:

post-18473-0-15163500-1356243921_thumb.j

post-18473-0-46367300-1356243959_thumb.j

I'm still not clear on what you are looking for but I'll try to respond..

Yes you could swap followers, but I don't know where you would be able to find any to buy. I might have some laying around though. The orange ones are from a out of date design from several years ago. Are the black ones from MegGar mags?

What caliber is this?

The current mags are the K-series, that have a black follower and they work much better in all calibers except .45 ACP (where they work the same as the old ones).

When you ask about magazine compatibility, what do you want to know??

• 2 weeks later...

Are the black ones from MegGar mags?

Yep

What caliber is this?

38 Super

The current mags are the K-series, that have a black follower and they work much better in all calibers except .45 ACP (where they work the same as the old ones).

When you ask about magazine compatibility, what do you want to know??

To simply put it, I want to know if all large frame mags work in all large frame witnesses (competition/higher end, standard steel, polymer) For example, will an orange follower mag work in a witness match and also a compact polymer (extending out the bottom)? From what I've read, there seems to be much unwritten info that would be useful to know concerning the witness line of pistols. Thanks for your help.

I have not used those older dimple mags for any period of time (I had one in .38 super for an experiment, but I sold it).

I don't know if the new followers are the "same" or not. That wear is odd, because the slide catch should only touch the follower when you run out of ammo. I don't know how you would get a follower to wear like that...