Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3MOA or 8MOA

tjhj

Hello all,

I am looking to move up to open class on a budget, probably not my best idea but I am looking at a Burris Fastfire III, but should I get the 3MOA dot or the 8 MOA dot. The 8 should be faster but that feels like it is getting really big...

Suggestions help ideas????

Thank you very much.

go with the 8. It is really not that big and makes picking up the do much easier in the bright sun. 8 is a good compromise between speed and accuracy. The smaller might allow for more precision but are slowe and harder to pick up. The huge ones are fast but the accuracy is harder when it covers the whole plate at distance. at 25 yards the 8moa only covers 2 inches.

I have had a 6,8, and 12 moa they all have there advantages.

3 I think would be really to small for the kind of shooting

you will be doing.The 8 moa is a great all around size.

12 moa starts to get a little big.My 2 cents would be if you

get the 3 moa after a couple of matches you will wish you had

the 8 moa.

Ok so the big question now is, go fast fire for $200, or drop for a trijicon RMR for $400....

What do you all think? is it worth the $200 extra?

Or go with the Leupold Deltapoint 7.5moa triangle. Actually the triangle looks about 20moa when mounted on the rear sight dovetail.

For the past month, I've been trying out the Deltapoint 7.5 and 3.5 on both frame mount and slide mount. I prefer the slide mount because the farther back you mount the RDS, the bigger your window looks, and the bigger your margin of error before losing the dot. I prefer the 7.5 over the 3.5 because the 3.5 looked a little dim sometimes.

I haven't tried the RMR or Burris because those sights have a smaller window than the Deltapoint. From my research, both the RMR and Deltapoint have been able to handle the pounding from being slide mounted. The Burris has had more problems.

I haven't tried the Cmore RTS because it doesn't have any slide mount adapters.

I bought the Deltapoints from Cabelas, so I got another month to decide if I will keep one (60 day return policy) or return both. I'm 80% sure that I'll keep the 7.5moa delta version.

Edited by gdboytyler

I do love my old Tasco "Beer Can" PDP5 CMP for this reason. Four different dot sizes on the same tube. The small dot for using on shots requiring a good deal of accuracy and the bigger dots for speed. But because of the way the dot size is changed it can be prone to breakage. I found that out on my single stack Open gun in .45 that I use for shooting bowling pins.

Joe W.