Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Metering

EMC(SS)

Going to start reloading 45ACP. Clays seems to be a popular choice for lite loads. I have heard that it can be difficult to meter. Anyone using a Lees ProAutoDisc for Clays? Also are there any other powders that "mimic" Clays performance? Thanks!

Edited by EMC(SS)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about Lee equipment. To your other question, the performance of VV320 feels quite similar to me. It is really different powder, though. It is heavier (more dense) than Clay's. Taking the same amount, volume wise, the 320 weighs more. When you compare the load data, you'll see that to get the same muzzle velocity requires more grains of 320 than Clay's but they occupy a very similar amount of space in the casing. In the gun, I don't think I could tell the difference between one round loaded with Clay's and one with 320. They are both really good for my needs.

Thanks everyone for the info. My Lee AutoDisc is doing fairly well with the Clays (using 3.9). The bullets are giving me some problems though. I am using Ranier 200 Gr SWC. I seated the first batch to 1.225 (from Hogdons manual) and had quite a few FTF. Second batch I went to 1.260 and still had some FTF. Next batch will be 1.271 and hopefully will work better. I am using an XDM 45 and have used LSWC (purchased at my local range) in the past with no difficulty. I am wondering if the XDM just does not like the Ranier?

Ok, I had a bunch of metering problems with Clays and a Dillon 550. I have to keep the 550 REAL clean and heavily lubed so it is smooth enough to meter Clays correctly. By problems, I mean, with Clays already kindof hot for 45acp and 230gr FMJ at major PF plus some margin, 0.2gr too much flattened some primers. My long term solution is using 230gr LRN bullets which require a few tenths less powder to get major. Otherwise Clays shoots so soft I am not willing to change right now.

Lee

So far the rounds I have fired using Clays have been both accurate and soft shooting. I am still having some FTF problems with the Ranier SWC. I settled on 1.240 for seating depth and have added additional crimp. I still had 4 out of 30 FTF right on the shoulder of the bullet. I may just need to switch to LRN or Berrys plated RN.

I tried the SWC at 1.265 and had several more FTF. I then loaded up some Berrys 230RN to 1.270 and they worked perfectly. I will try loading the SWC to 1.275 but I will wait for my case gauge to arrive before I try again. BTW the SWC loaded to 1.265 also FTF in a friends Springfield 1911 so I guess going long will be my last shot with those.

I tried the SWC at 1.265 and had several more FTF. I then loaded up some Berrys 230RN to 1.270 and they worked perfectly. I will try loading the SWC to 1.275 but I will wait for my case gauge to arrive before I try again. BTW the SWC loaded to 1.265 also FTF in a friends Springfield 1911 so I guess going long will be my last shot with those.

I would try a different manufacturer's SWC if the ones you have don't work in several guns at "ok" OALs.

So far the rounds I have fired using Clays have been both accurate and soft shooting. I am still having some FTF problems with the Ranier SWC. I settled on 1.240 for seating depth and have added additional crimp. I still had 4 out of 30 FTF right on the shoulder of the bullet. I may just need to switch to LRN or Berrys plated RN.

Rainier plated SWC's are problematic in many guns. My Wilson hates 'em. My kimber's and Colt's tolerated them. I switched to Laser Cast SWC's and have not had another problem in hundreds of rounds. FWIW.

xd45 is well known to have problems feeding swc bullets. My Tactical won't. I use round nose and hollowpoint bullets for it. Maybe they were supposed to fix that in the xdm but I was not hopeful they would. The xdtalk forum had a bunch of guys talking about the feed issues a couple years ago. Fired case gets pulled straight back and hits the sharp shoulder of the swc at the top of the mag. Fired case often gets caught in ejection port....

I prefer the Precision 200g rnfp. My xd chamber is short. I have to load to 1.200" OAL for the Precision but get good accuracy. Missourri Bullet Co makes a good naked lead 200rnfp for the xd45. Cheap too.

I know I've already contributed to this post, but I did some measurements the other day with my 550 and Clays. I measured out 20 charges set for my target 3.8 grains and they weighed a total of 76.22 on the scale. Granted there could be one or two that significantly dropped below or came out above, that still equates to 3.811 per charge....off by .011gr. Pretty consistent and shows that most likely there are NOT significantly high or low charges. I've done this with fewer charges and weighed them to "eliminate" the normal distribution effects of throwing 30+ charges. After dividing, they still came out with +-.01-.02 grains per charge. I was VERY impressed since this is the kind of accuracy I usually put in to rifle loading. Even my $140 Redding micrometer powder measure can't throw an accurate charge of Varget :angry2: Time for a trickler I guess.

My Lee Auto Disk seems to be doing pretty well with the Clays. As to the SWC issue with the XDM ... I still find it interesting that it ate 2 boxes of SWC reloads purchased at the range but not the Ranier. As someone pointed out there are many guns that have issues with the Ranier SWC so it is not totally fair to say that the XDM will not reliably feed all SWCs.