Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero bullets - exposed lead on base?

Pro2AInPA

Powder valley has a pretty good deal going on Zero 9mm bullets right now, and I need bullets for my 9mm major load development.

They have the 115gr FMJ, 115gr JHP, and 124gr FMJ in stock. I've read that for open guns, I want a bullet without exposed lead on the base of the bullet. Do the zeros fit the bill?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

If you run FMJ (exposed base) you WILL have a lot of leading in your comp. PITA to clean.

The 115 JHP are good, but require a lot more powder in 9 Major. I would start with MG 121 or a 124/125 JHP for a 9 Major gun. I believe you are just getting started in Open and 124/125 bullets give you a few more options.

What powder are you going to use?

You can get the Montana Gold CMJ which is fully encased. Just order some this AM for my 9 Major. My 9 major guns eat RN bullets 100% but the JHP's I was getting 1 or 2 failures to feed per match, and that is 2 2 many. My 38SC eats anything.

For comp cleaning I got a set of cleaning picks at Harbor Freight all shapes and sizes, and it just takes it all out easy.

You could check with the guy you are buying the gun from to get info on which bullet feeds best and the load he/she developed.

In the abasence of that let me recommend either HS6 or Silhouette, and if you have lots of head space AA#7. You milage may vary as I think that the gun you bought has got holes and a small comp.

Thanks guys. I am planning on using MG 124 CMJs for major.

However since the USPSA season is about over, my first order of business is working up a minor load for indoor steel matches over the winter. I was going to use 115gr bullets for that.

However since the USPSA season is about over, my first order of business is working up a minor load for indoor steel matches over the winter. I was going to use 115gr bullets for that.

Try the 95gr Zero, shoots like an air soft.

115gr is the lightest I see on the Roze website. :blink:

I got my last batch from Terry Labbe "Bullet Man" phone 210-420-8610. :huh: I use a lotta zeros I get them from ShootersConnection or Terry, even bought some from Angus.

They're listed under .380, rather than 9mm. It's a hollow base soft point...not exactly what I'd pick. Montana Gold makes two nice 95gr 9mm/.380 bullets, and one is a JHP. I'm actually looking/hoping to try some of them soon, but have been waffling on ordering a whole case...especially because they cost more than 115gr JHPs do!

It looks like PV is out of the Zero 115gr JHP now. You want either JHP, CMJ or TMJ. FMJ will have exposed lead bases. R,