Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

586 vs 686 for IDPA

Boats

Have posted previous about shooing club matches non IDPA rules with a 4 inch Model 28. Works good but a local shop has a nice 4 inch 586 priced right. No doubt the 686 is the gun to shoot SSR with but, is there any negative on the 586 other than finish ? Of course would need new holsters & speedloaders too. I could buy this one and sell my 28 for very little outlay and end up IDPA legal.

What do you think ?

Boats

The 586 doesn't give anything away to the 686 per se--though more options are available in the 686 line. For example (the example I would be thinking of for SSR anyway), the 686 SSR with the partially lugged barrel and interchangeable sight. The lug is not such a big deal--but the sight could be, for me at least. What's the sight like on the 586 you're looking at? Is it pinned or integral? The ability to put on something like a SDM fiber optic might matter if you really want to be competitive at some point.

I would definitely want a 586 with the pinned rather than integral front site. To me that would be a deal maker/breaker. With the 586 (L frame) you can get CompIII speedloaders.

This is is the regular non pinned S&W sight. Never thought about that point since I always shoot black on black with a wide rear notch. I guess the ablity to switch off sometime in the future would be usefull. Thinking about trying a F/O at some time. On the one Hand I don't need to switch from the 28 for club matches on the other would not want to travel to another club and shoot something not meeting IDPA rules

Boats

I have 2 686's , one front sight is replaceable and the other is not . But both hit where I point at if all goes as planed !!

If going ICORE or USPSA have it moon clipped . If it is a good price just shoot it and have fun. I don't think you could go wrong with a 586 or 686 .

Brent

sorry for the silly question, what are the differenced in 586/686??? i thought they were the same gun only blue/stainless? i was also looking for a 586/686 but in 6" just to tinker with

Scott

You're right, just SS vs blued. The older guns had a front sight and sight base and barrel that was one piece. Newer ones the sight base and barrel is one piece and the sight is pinned in the sight base and is replaceable. Some may have the "Classic" style (spring loaded, interchangeable) front sight.

This one is older and seems to be made of forged parts not MIM. I would have been in favor of forged but my 625 has a bunch of MIM parts and it works just fine, perhaps the parts are harder and slicker. Thought I was going to buy it but the dealer is backing down on his OTD price. Will wait him out some,

Boats