Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rough transition from IDPA!

Covfefe

Hi,

New member here! 

Was doing well in IDPA....tried USPSA with predictable results :( It didn't help that there were some GM's there but my footwork, transitions and strategy stunk up the place! 6 shot static IDPA stages are much easier! 

Here to learn as much as I can to get to next level and that's any classification over D! Hopefully I can also contribute one day. 

Once you learn how to game the stages, it will be a lot easier for you.  I recently started shooting IDPA after 8 years of USPSA.  That's not an easy transition either.  Watch those GM closely and plan your stage as close to their's as your skill level will allow.

Every competition has its learning curve.  You just found yours.  LIke RT said, watch the GM's and try and see what they do and follow them as your skill level allows and increases.  You will get it.  Everyone learning a new "game" has rough patches in the beginning and it takes a bit of time to adjust...even the naturals. :)  You'll get it.  Just keep at it and do your best to minimize your frustration level and look at it as a learning experience instead of getting upset or frustrated.  That hinders your learning instead of helping.

And believe be, even the simplest of things can be an issue.  Last night at an IDPA match, I planned to do a Tac reload rather than shoot to slide lock on one particular stage.  Well, as you might imagine, when the buzzer goes off and it's time for the reload, I dropped that magazine to the ground like I've done a million times.......because I've not trained that way.  So, what was supposed to save me a couple seconds, cost me a couple seconds......severe learning curve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 5:55 PM, Covfefe said:

Hi,

New member here! 

Was doing well in IDPA....tried USPSA with predictable results :( It didn't help that there were some GM's there but my footwork, transitions and strategy stunk up the place! 6 shot static IDPA stages are much easier! 

Here to learn as much as I can to get to next level and that's any classification over D! Hopefully I can also contribute one day. 

Ha! I hear you, brother! I actually prefer Steel Challenge. No running around on the clock, no running back and forth between every shooter pasting and resetting, etc. Stand and shoot. I'm old, fat, and slow and the summers are hella hot here.

Welcome to BE!