Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smooth Expander/Flare die Set Ups?

I flare and charge with a Lee powder die.  I was loading some rounds using new brass and I noticed that the flaring charging die really sticks noticeably.  It enters smoothly but when I pull out the brass it requires notable abrupt force.

What do you guys do to tune this out?  Do you use a different die brand that doesn't have this problem?  Do you flare at a different station and not at the charge station?  

Thanks.    

This is a normal characteristic of reloading handgun cases. The size die sizes the case neck to tighter dimension, then the expander opens the case neck to a uniform inside diameter. This makes up for loading cases of varying wall thicknesses. On fired cases, the light residual carbon residue acts as a lubricant on the expander, reducing the effort needed to withdraw the case from the powder funnel. New brass, and wet tumbled brass lacks this carbon, and sticks onto the funnel. Eventually you'll encounter some brass buildup on the funnel, so use a scotchbrite or wire wheel to clean this off.

12 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

Anybody use a Lyman M die for pistol?  Did you happen to notice it being smoother than the lee charging dies during case extraction?  M die good for a progressive press for pistol applications?  

I do.  The M-die makes it so you barely need to flare the case to get your bullet in even with HiTek coated, and they do not stick at all.  I threw all my Hornady standard pistol expanders in a box, and never looked back.

I also use them for rifle.  I set final neck tension right before seating, and they help a ton with flat base bullets.  Just a kiss from a FCD to close the minor flare.

You can also buy expanders from NOE that fit in the Lee universal expander that are very similar to the M-Die.  For me, I wont buy them as I want "set it and forget it" for each caliber.