Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets rearward & "beer can" reload

I've been practicing with my Colt magazine AR9, and I've found that the 32 round magazines are so long that they are hard to guide into the magwell when I try to reload the gun like my handgun. I imagine when I put an extension on there that it's just going to get harder to align properly. I experimented last night with a typical "beer can" grip rifle reload and I seemed to have more success with it, even saving around half a second on my reloads with that method. With a little bit of grip tape on the magazine, I can also reliably seat the magazine. 

So I guess my question here is: how does everyone perform their reloads? Is there any particular disadvantage to doing a reload as I describe? 

Hello: I use a Metalform Colt mag with a Taylor Freelance extension to start. My reload to mags are 20 round Metalform Colt mags with a TTI Glock +4/5 base pads. I beer can the big mags if necessary but kinda beer can the 20 round mags but put my little finger under the bottom. One thing that has helped a lot is the Taccom magwell. It makes reloads easier when moving and also for classifier reloads. I carry two mags on my belt first one is bullets out and laying kinda flat, next one is bullets back and almost straight up. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Huh, I didn't realize the Glock basepads fit on the Metalform magazines. Is there any fitting you have to do? 

That's a very helpful post, and I like your idea to reload with the smaller 20 rounders. I can actually reload those fairly quickly like my handgun, so I may just have a couple of those on my belt bullets forward for classifier reloads. 

Also, who made your lower, and what particular Taccom magwell do you use? 

Edited by Xanatos903