Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Magazine issue

jtinde

STI 9mm magazines (126mm), loading 11 rounds for IDPA.

Mags feed well most of the time,  but occasionally there will be an instance where the cartridges do not move readily upwards, as though the spring has lost tension. It does not happen consistently and it has happened in each of the STI magazines that I use. Bullets are the right length, the springs are new and the mag is clean. I switched to a stronger spring and the problem still shows up every now and then.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Have you tried any other followers? I'm assuming you're using the stock followers. Sounds like the followers are dragging inside the mag. Spend $10 and throw a TTI follower in and see if that solves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, jtinde said:

STI 9mm magazines (126mm), loading 11 rounds for IDPA.

Mags feed well most of the time,  but occasionally there will be an instance where the cartridges do not move readily upwards, as though the spring has lost tension. It does not happen consistently and it has happened in each of the STI magazines that I use. Bullets are the right length, the springs are new and the mag is clean. I switched to a stronger spring and the problem still shows up every now and then.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

By "right length," what exactly did you mean?  Standard commercial 9mm?  My STI 9mm likes them loaded long, possibly out to 1.200".  When loaded conventionally I got the occasional feed issue.

Also, the two 10 round STI mags that came with my gun were fine, but the 3 extra ones I purchased needed to be tuned.  Is it possible that your mag bodies are part of the issue?

Also also, you might want to try using a fine grit paper on the inside of the magazines to slick them up a bit more.

3 hours ago, jtinde said:

shooterDrew - I'll change the followers and see what happens - Thanks!

STIboy - Right length = 1.160 (+ or -),   I have tuned the mags, including the sandpaper thing. Thanks for your thoughts.

When I ran 1.160 in my double stack magazines I would occasionally get a feed failure.  Going to 1.200 fixed it.  I'll check my 10 rounders and see if they work the same way.

ETA: 1.200 works with mags without spacers; with spacers the standard 1.160 works correctly, and the 10 round STI mags have spacers.

Edited by STIboy