Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 40sw for OPEN?

qianrcx1231991

Hi GuysGals,

New here but been shooting Glock in Production(34)/Limited(Weighted 24) forever. Been thinking to get a G22 top to throw it on my weighted 24 frame, get a threaded barrel and a SJC 11port comp to try OPEN with iron sight. I don't plan on winning championship with the set up, but I want to check if anyone has experience on reliability of 40sw ammo w/ comp. 9major seems never work out on Glock, wonder if regular 40sw plus comp will.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

It's definitely more difficult to get a 9mm major open glock running smoothly, but I wouldn't say they "never work out"

Shooting .40 eliminates the frustrations with having a hotter round than the gun is made for since a standard load for .40 makes major PF already.

Do some searching on google and the forum around here, you'll find loads of articles and conversations about open glocks.

There's even a kit that you can buy that comes with everything you need. I think it's like $550.

Edited by andyroth

9mm major works well in a Glock if you go all the way on correct mods for the gun. The SJC home brew kit for $550 works well because it includes their KKM barrel, which has an even tighter chamber than the regular KKM aftermarket barrel.  That will help keep you from blowing yourself up.  Then make sure to resize your brass properly and case gauge everything.  

Add a 14 pound recoil spring and use SJC's comp.  That should work great for major PF.  Don't bother with minor.

My setup has been more reliable than the metal open guns that "real" competitors use.  I shot mine for 1,000 rounds before cleaning it the first time because I was bored and felt bad about neglecting the gun that long. Even before the cleaning, it was totally reliable with major loads, just as good as any Glock.

The higher capacity in 9mm mags really is an advantage.  Plus, bullets are cheaper.

Edited by Savagesweat

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 2:02 PM, Savagesweat said:

9mm major works well in a Glock if you go all the way on correct mods for the gun. The SJC home brew kit for $550 works well because it includes their KKM barrel, which has an even tighter chamber than the regular KKM aftermarket barrel.  That will help keep you from blowing yourself up.  Then make sure to resize your brass properly and case gauge everything.  

Add a 14 pound recoil spring and use SJC's comp.  That should work great for major PF.  Don't bother with minor.

My setup has been more reliable than the metal open guns that "real" competitors use.  I shot mine for 1,000 rounds before cleaning it the first time because I was bored and felt bad about neglecting the gun that long. Even before the cleaning, it was totally reliable with major loads, just as good as any Glock.

The higher capacity in 9mm mags really is an advantage.  Plus, bullets are cheaper.

As mentioned above 9mm is preferred!

9mm Major is a advantage in Open because of capacity, but what you will find is that Open 9 Major Glocks don't have a very long life compared to STI's. I ran one for 2 years (about 30K) and broke locking blocks and cracked the pins. Gave up and went back to the G24.