Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

locked up 2011

davsco

ok i'm an idiot. sti 2011 edge, cleaned (removed slide, recoilmaster, barrel) like i have dozens if not 100s of times. put it back together, pulled trigger and now the slide won't move back more than a 1/4 inch, just barely past where it would stop with the safety engaged.

saw a prior thread where they said to grasp slide in left hand and push hard in opposite direction but that isn't doing anything. even lightly put the slide in a padded vise and pushed harder at back of grip and no better. also put the top front of the slide (above barrel below front sight) against edge of workbench and pushed hard with no luck.

it's new enough and low round count enough where nothing should be breaking, but of course stuff happens. pretty confident i put the slide stop thru the link pin. the only thought creeping into my head is maybe the recoilmaster wasn't sitting correctly on the barrel perhaps i was distracted while removing that plastic recoilmaster compression tool.

any help / thoughts GREATLY appreciated!

It sounds like you missed the link. The pin may be jammed. It may need more than a a hard push. Can you pull the hammer back and does the trigger work? Does the safety engage at all? Is it only that the slide is jammed?

Sounds like the head of the recoilmaster is turned a little the wrong way and pressing against the barrel. You are on the right track with pressing the top front of the slide against the workbench. Instead of just pressing hard hold it steady with your left hand and hit it with the web of your right hand to push it down. If you get it to move a little jiggle the barrel. This sometimes sets the head back in place. If you can get it to move far enough remove the slide stop and start over with assembly. Both heads on the recoilmaster need to be aligned properly when you assemble to stop this from happening.

thanks again Bob. i did the above over and over and nothing happened. was just ready to give up and box it up and decided to give the recoilmaster a few wacks just for yucks (small diameter sight tool placed inside the plug). that must have jarred the recoilmaster "ears" loose or something as i was then able to rack the slide.

when i pulled the slide the "ears" seemed aligned and positioned properly but maybe they were off kilter and the wacking got them back together.