Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSS mag well + TTi base pad - are these IDPA ESP legal?

MilkMyDuds

I ordered the short ones. They were scheduled to arrive today but unfortunately USPS has struck again, tracking hasn't updated since it left Oregon on Tuesday morning. I guess that is what I get for thinking they were competent enough to do their job right. Perhaps they will show up by this time next week if I am lucky. I hate USPS!

Edited by hlpressley

I received 6 SP base pads. They look really nice. The fit is a bit tight. I have to push really hard to slide them to the mags.

Unfortunately, seating the magazines has become much more difficult, due to the fact that the base pads are flush or even a bit caved in with the magwell opening when fully seated. This is with my SSS ESP magwell. Basically I have to consciously find some ways to push the magazines into the well really hard to seat them properly, vs. previously I simply let me palm hit the magwell opening.

I ordered an TTI and SSS base pad to compare. Will post here when I get them.

Let me know about pin clearance. I know the SSS magwell needs some work when using our large size base pads.

I have no problem with pin clearance on either the SSS ESP or Limited magwell. No modifications needed. :)

Awesome! We've had mixed reviews. Some do, some don't.
My 140mm firepower kits have no problem with the ESP magwell, but the brass limited magwell did need a little clearancing. They would seat but not drop, took about 3 minuets with a small file and to drop freely. Towards the front of the pad they "tap" the magwell when seating, but don't hinder it in any way. Now they seat and drop great!

post-54673-0-83596500-1433055940_thumb.j

post-54673-0-53091100-1433055953_thumb.j

post-54673-0-55981800-1433055969_thumb.j

Received SSS basepad today. Put it on, and did some comparison with Springer ones.

Here are the pics.

When both mags are fully inserted, the SSS is 1.5mm longer protruding from the mag well. What does this mean? For me, it means less failures in seating magazines during a reload.

I called Springer and they are willing to accept a return of unused base pads. I will pay a restocking fee for the ones I did use. Nice guys to deal with!

post-56818-0-58979100-1433445864_thumb.j

post-56818-0-53036700-1433445869_thumb.j

Edited by MilkMyDuds

I tried them with the stock plastic mag release and the LF-arms extended metal mag release. Same result.

I did not reverse the mag release because I have trained to use right hand thumb to release mags.

I use these for IDPA ESP http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_278_292&products_id=1101

Can't remember if the TTI's are legal (don't shoot IDPA anymore but I'm thinking they weren't legal)

I was thinking about getting some of those, but from the pictures, they look like they fit so closely to the SSS magwell that they'd be hard to grab onto if you had to strip the mag to clear a double feed or someother malfunction. Is this correct, or is there room to get some fingers around the pad?

I use these for IDPA ESP http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_278_292&products_id=1101

Can't remember if the TTI's are legal (don't shoot IDPA anymore but I'm thinking they weren't legal)

I was thinking about getting some of those, but from the pictures, they look like they fit so closely to the SSS magwell that they'd be hard to grab onto if you had to strip the mag to clear a double feed or someother malfunction. Is this correct, or is there room to get some fingers around the pad?

Don't know, I've never had to strip a mag out. On the rare occasion I had a double feed, pushing the mag release while pulling the slide back let everything fall on the ground.

Edited by Bkreutz

Did anyone else notice the way TTI base pad is installed is different than the others? The TTI base pads have a hollow bottom, effectively making the length of the mag longer, thus being able to accept more rounds (20 9mm on the standard 17-round stock mag).

Will this make the stock mag spring weaker? Will this require extra power mag spring to function correctly? Has anyone had feeding issues?

Did anyone else notice the way TTI base pad is installed is different than the others? The TTI base pads have a hollow bottom, effectively making the length of the mag longer, thus being able to accept more rounds (20 9mm on the standard 17-round stock mag).

Will this make the stock mag spring weaker? Will this require extra power mag spring to function correctly? Has anyone had feeding issues?

We haven't had any weak spring issues.

If we are still talking about the small +3, no problems I have seen or heard of. Plus if you only add 2 extra rounds of 9mm to each, Your palm may thank you for easing up on it.

The entire family runs TTI's On the Glocks and on my limited M&P. I have a set of the SP on my production M&P.

Received SSS basepad today. Put it on, and did some comparison with Springer ones.

Here are the pics.

When both mags are fully inserted, the SSS is 1.5mm longer protruding from the mag well. What does this mean? For me, it means less failures in seating magazines during a reload.

I called Springer and they are willing to accept a return of unused base pads. I will pay a restocking fee for the ones I did use. Nice guys to deal with!

Do you mind throwing one on the scale and letting us know what they weigh?

I got the TTI base pad. I like it better than the SSS and Springer, because it sticks out more out of the magwell mouth, thus easier to palm slap when seating a mag during reload.

The TTI base pad, however, is pushing the 6 inch limit (for IDPA) too close IMO. I measured my MP with TTI pad on and it's about 5.97 inches tall.

I weighed them all:

• TTI - 3.6 oz
  • SSS - 3.85 oz
  • Springer - 3.9 oz

I think all 3 would be legal for IDPA both SSP and ESP, since the stock magazine weighs about 3.1 oz on my scale.

post-56818-0-32218200-1433887201_thumb.j

post-56818-0-45622200-1433887210_thumb.j

post-56818-0-59782900-1433887215_thumb.j

The TTI base pad, however, is pushing the 6 inch limit (for IDPA) too close IMO. I measured my MP with TTI pad on and it's about 5.97 inches tall.

Is this measurement with the stock rear sight, or have you replaced it with something else?

Is this measurement with the stock rear sight, or have you replaced it with something else?

Mine is stock rear and front sight

I run the extended length springs in my magazines as I have had issues with the factory springs where slamming the magazine is sends the slide home but doesn't pick up a round. The extended length spings fixes that issue for me.

We haven't had any weak spring issues.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk