Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xdm 5.25 40 versus sti edge

moonshoxx

I have both guns. started with the XDM 5.25 and then went to the STI edge. Thinking about going back to the XDM. I have small hands and really having a hard time holding on to the STI through a whole stage without having to readjust the grip a lot. Recoil is different with the guns, but to me it is just learning to manage the recoil differently with each gun, and not that either gun is better for felt recoil. Has a local gunsmith do a trigger job on the xdm and actually prefer it over the STI. I added some CC parts,,magwell and guide rod, as well as some dawson basepads. Bottom line,,,for me the XDM is probably a better fit than the STI. I believe gun fit is very personal and that more expensive doesn't always mean a better fit.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the STI would win every time on several levels, but you can get XDMs almost 3 to 1. I have a couple of both but am shooting XDMs regularly. Get an XDM from Powder River and you will be impressed.

just to let everyone know. I got a brassstacker tungsten guide rod for the xdm and it is shooting fine. not as well as my buddy's sti executive but i can handle the recoil. i tried the old cheap way out by using tungsten powder and epoxy. It basically ruined a guide rod and only added a couple of ounces. I bit bullet and got the 65 dollar guide rod.

My XDM 5.25 9 has been idle since I got my 1st STI about six months ago. I like the XDM quite a bit. It's accurate, reliable, and the ergos are good for my medium sized hands. The best analogy I can think of for the differences between the two is like a modded Honda compared to a purpose built sports car, like a Porsche. The STI is just easier for me to drive fast. There's also a noticeable difference in build quality and feel that's apparent when you handle and shoot them. The STI is more pricey, and probably a bit more finicky, but that's the way some cool toys are.

My XDM 5.25 9 has been idle since I got my 1st STI about six months ago. I like the XDM quite a bit. It's accurate, reliable, and the ergos are good for my medium sized hands. The best analogy I can think of for the differences between the two is like a modded Honda compared to a purpose built sports car, like a Porsche. The STI is just easier for me to drive fast. There's also a noticeable difference in build quality and feel that's apparent when you handle and shoot them. The STI is more pricey, and probably a bit more finicky, but that's the way some cool toys are.

Great analogy!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the same boat a few months ago, and finally just decided to buy an edge. So glad I did. No comparison. Don't get me wrong, you can be competitive with the xdm, I just prefer the sti (and I have two xd's).

• 1 month later...