Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock buffer and Conefit Guide Rod !

sinnsyk

So last week I started my summer shooting training program, preparing for the European Championships in Serbia in September. I've switched from Open to IPSC Standard division after being really pleased with my performance at the Norwegian Championships. I'm currently experimenting with sights, springs etc. One of the things I've finally had some time to play with is using a 1911 shock buffer in my EAA Limited 40.

So far the results are very pleasing. I am using the Conefit guide rod which gives the buffer the support it needs. The 1911 shock buffer is too wide, but it works. It'll prevent the slide from hitting the frame which is my main goal. Just to reduce the stress on the gun. I've got my ammo lined up so expect to shoot a lot this summer and I want to preserve the guns as much as possible.

I've been using the EGW shock buffers which comes in packs of 6. All 'rubber' type of shock buffs are often recommended to change after 1000 rounds and I would agree. I didn't count exactly how many rounds I fired with it, but I think it was just under 1000 when the shock buffer started to separate. It causes the slide to slow down and feed funny. Currently I wouldn't recommend using it in competition, but definitely I'll be using shock buffs for practice. I had maybe 3-4 rounds out of 1000 that didn't feed, but otherwise it worked perfectly. The feeding problem I'm 99% positive is because the buffer is thick and you wouldn't really imagine that those buffers would allow the slide to pick up a round. But it does, almost perfectly. So... at least a good way to preserve your gun - for now.

For those of you who've already purchased the conefit guiderod, get some 1911 shock buffers and use them for practice. It's just a good way to take care of your EAA Witness / Tanfoglio pistol. When I get a chance I'll try to turn some aluminum buffers that'll be the right diameter and much thinner. That may be the ticket to a more permanent shock buffer for our guns. I'm sure there are several metals that may prove to be soft, yet durable to cushion the slide to frame blow.

If anyone has thoughts, experiences etc please post.

Brownell's sells a shock buffer (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1411/pid=302/sku/CZ_75_85_Buffer) that works well in my Hunter. It fits the frame channel well, but it is rather thick; however, that's easy to adjust with sandpaper. The Hunter uses a different guiderod, and it was necessary to shorten the collar to make room for the buffer. Models that can use the conefit guiderod may be OK as is.

your conefit guide rod is a fabulous idea. in the early 90's i shot one of the original small-frame Witness 40cal guns in matches with a gunsmith-designed rod/buffer combo that did work but chewed thru the toughest buffers available [ed brown, at the time] very quickly

as for aluminum buffs, that is what i've been using in my open STI for 5 or 6 years and i LOVE it. dave dawson is no dummy so when he invents something and says it works like a dead blow hammer, he is on to something.

btw a dead blow hammer is one of the most useful tools you can get. i have 3 of them.

• 1 month later...

o.k. I now know why! I put one in just to try it out, forgot that I had it in during our big State match and had the thing jam up my slide on one of the stages. DOH! I'll just stick to not having one until you have a guiderod that fits the stock 2.

Can one of your guiderods be cut down to fit a stock 2? And if so would that be USPSA legal? Have you seen the shockbuff they have in Brownell's? I was thinking of trying that out. I like the feel of having a shock buffer in that gun but I want to find a way of not chewing them up and having my gun jam on me.