Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer, sear, spring, trigger & disconnector

818-DVC

I'm working on building my own 2011 from a slightly used top end and brand new frame, and lower completion parts.

I am trying to figure out where to start, and what fitting is absolutely necessary. I am using EGW sear/spring, steel hammer strut, XL Disconnector, Koenig hammer with an STI factory gunsmith blank trigger. I know the disconnector needs some shortening, but in all honesty what do I need to polish out/fit. I have a buffing wheel, files, wire brush, stones etc.

I just don't fully understand the order of how to put everything together and get all the parts to properly engage. I also want to deactivate the beavertail safety while I have everything apart. Any links or suggestions?

Pretty much everything on the gun is going to need fitting. I would have someone work with you to insure it is all done right and safely. A video only shows so much. You might be better off paying someone to fit the trigger parts and do a good trigger job on it. Once you start trying to set up triggers the way most shooters like them for competition, its very easy to get into unsafe territory if you have never done one before. Its also easy to ruin some parts along the way learning to do it. If you want to learn I would suggest learning with less expensive parts so when you mess up, your not out 80 bucks for the hammer alone

I'm working on building my own 2011 from a slightly used top end and brand new frame, and lower completion parts.

I am trying to figure out where to start, and what fitting is absolutely necessary. I am using EGW sear/spring, steel hammer strut, XL Disconnector, Koenig hammer with an STI factory gunsmith blank trigger. I know the disconnector needs some shortening, but in all honesty what do I need to polish out/fit. I have a buffing wheel, files, wire brush, stones etc.

I just don't fully understand the order of how to put everything together and get all the parts to properly engage. I also want to deactivate the beavertail safety while I have everything apart. Any links or suggestions?

What problem leads you to the conclusion that you need to shorten the disconnector ?

While it is definately self rewarding to work on one's own guns... it requires a level of knowledge that ensures the whole process can progress without wrecking too much and that the final result is safe to use.

I don't want to insult you... but ...I would suggest that you buy the AGI series of DVD's and watch them a couple of times before you get too into what has to be done... if you are unsure... find a reputable gunsmith and get the gun put together by them.

What problem leads you to the conclusion that you need to shorten the disconnector ?

While it is definately self rewarding to work on one's own guns... it requires a level of knowledge that ensures the whole process can progress without wrecking too much and that the final result is safe to use.

I don't want to insult you... but ...I would suggest that you buy the AGI series of DVD's and watch them a couple of times before you get too into what has to be done... if you are unsure... find a reputable gunsmith and get the gun put together by them.

I will look into the videos & decide whether to do this myself or just do as much as I can safely with confidence. The EGW disconnector is extra long for fitting. says it will require some shortening. I was going to have my local smith do a trigger & reliability job when I finished. I'll see what he wants to charge me to just to finish the gun. I was trying to build a top notch gun for under $1800 if competent enough. I payed $450 for a tri-topped, serrated, hardchromed, w bomar & dawson F/O front, STI unique slide, aftec, XL FP, & FP stop, fitted STI barrel, link/pin minus a guiderod and recoil spring. I have about $800 in a frame, and everything to complete the gun. guess I have to put together another $4-500 to have my smith build it out. thanks for the tips

JL

What you are wanting to do is not impossible I have a very good friend and shooting buddy that did what you are talking about I did the machine work for him and gave him a lot of help as far as fitting question an hands on help it took him about 6 months to complete and he has a gun like no other drop me a email and I will give you info on how to email him he would be glad to give you so info on this

Rodbender is talking about me. I started with a new bald STI slide and STI forged frame, both oversized. There is a systematic progression to the build that we followed. If you PM me I can go into details. I only used quailty parts and ended up with a tack driving machine, to say the least. I will be making my decision on the final finish to apply in the next month or so. I did spray and bake a couple of small parts with GunKote just to see how it holds up, but they will be done over when the gun is finished. For now it's in the "white" and I'm playing with loads... Go slow and enjoy it. It was my first custom build made better by my personal "hands on" participation. I made mistakes, but learned so very much too.

post-11000-126427170179_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobobooie

• 1 month later...

Looks real nice, I'm just itching to try this myself. Wish I had someone near by who could talk me through some things though. It seems like every time I try even a repair it turns into more of a problem then I anticipated. As a matter of fact got 2 of them going on right now. Problems that is.

Hows it holding up?

earl

Looks real nice, I'm just itching to try this myself. Wish I had someone near by who could talk me through some things though. It seems like every time I try even a repair it turns into more of a problem then I anticipated. As a matter of fact got 2 of them going on right now. Problems that is.

Hows it holding up?

earl

1,000 rds and 4 matches and it's running at 100%. Almost ready to have it finished.