Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

160 gr. .45 loads?

John Z Sr

A friend that shoots alot of ICORE thought that a 160 gr rn lead .45 might be a good one to try for ICORE (power factor only 120). The idea was that it should be about the same as a 158 .38 at the same speed, but we can use them in our 625's. Using 230 lrn at such a low power factor and low velocity seems like it takes the bullet forever to hit a 30 yard plate. Any one tried the light .45's yet? Any advice would be welcomed

I just started playing around with two different light .45 bullets.

I cast a lot of my own bullets and just recently picked up a 155 SWC and a 165 RNFP mould. The 165 mould is a lite cowboy bullet so it has a crimp groove which makes it great for lite loads for my .45 ACP revolvers. I plan on using the 165 mostly for the revos but will probably play with the 155 SWC in them just for the heck of it.

I just started working up some loads just to get some velocity numbers and then I will lock it int he Ransom Rest and see how accurate the bullets are.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I had great success with a 166gr (it may be similar to the 165gr that Neal is running) and with Titegroup we got good accuracy 3" at 35y in my old P13 Para, switched to 200gr SWC and 185gr JHP as they felt better for me even at Major and more accurate. I don't have a625 but a freind of mine did and he liked them.

You have got to try them, they just don't kick at all in a 625, are are very snappy (in a good way) in the Para. I ran out before I got my Kimber so never got a chance.

Edited by gm iprod