Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Sights

STIGUY

I have asked and come to the conclusion that I definately need some sort of rear sight on my M2 to make distant hits with slugs. I have spoke to a guy about milling in an 10/22 rear sight, but I a not sure that I trust him not to screw it up. Question is whether (if I praticed enough) the rear adhensive backed turkey sights are precise enough so that I could just mount these on my rib and used the front sight (already replaced with one of Tom Knapp's Easy Hit) that is easier and faster to pick up? The gun was bought new and I'm relunctant to allow some yokel to start dremeling on it. THANKS!

I have asked and come to the conclusion that I definately need some sort of rear sight on my M2 to make distant hits with slugs. I have spoke to a guy about milling in an 10/22 rear sight, but I a not sure that I trust him not to screw it up. Question is whether (if I praticed enough) the rear adhensive backed turkey sights are precise enough so that I could just mount these on my rib and used the front sight (already replaced with one of Tom Knapp's Easy Hit) that is easier and faster to pick up? The gun was bought new and I'm relunctant to allow some yokel to start dremeling on it. THANKS!

If you are going to be shooting past 50 yd, then you will definitely benefit from a rear sight. A 10/22 rear sight can be installed w/o a mill if you have patience and have decent hands. I installed mine without a dovetail cutter- just a file, and it works perfectly.

RZ

The benefit of an installed flip down rifle sight is you can get rid of it (flip it down) when not needed for clays, steel, or flying birds and deploy it for slugs when you do need it. The trick is get one of the smiths that has done a bunch of these things not some yahoo that thinks he can do it. It is not very expensive or time consuming for a decent smith to do.

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody have an opinion on the best place to mount the rear sight? As far back as possible seems the route to go, but I'd like some input from those who know. Pics would be great as well, if anybody has them.

the flip site needs to be on the lower portion of the rib, I put it just where the lower portion levels out. the XS shallow "V" needs to go on the upper portion of the rib and put it as far back as it will go, I try to put it on one of the rib supports. "Benelli nova mods" topic should show a pic of the XS sight mounted.

Trapr