Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK: Benelli M1 - Fiocchi Low Recoil

Hoover 1

Nice website that you have here. :cheers:

Recently a buddy picked up a used Benelli M1 at a local gun show. Gun has had some use (the rear of the receiver was particularly dirty) but appears not to have been abused.

It is a stock gun, nothing hanging off of it.

It really likes full power 2 3/4 inch slugs and 00 Buck and will function with low brass "Dove" loads.

When he tried Fiocchi Low Recoil (1150 FPS, part #12LE00BK) rounds, the first round fires and ejects ok, but the bolt fails to go back far enough (looks to be about 1/4 inch short) to pick up the second round. After clearing this round, the remaining rounds feed/fire/eject OK.

This has happened twice each time on the second round.

It has been really cold here (20 degrees when we were shooting) and the FTF has happened on the second round after the weapon has been sitting on the bench for some time. Temperature related?

He feels that he cleaned it really good after getting it, but it appears some recommend removing the butt pad / stock and flushing the recoil assembly to get all the old lube, rust, etc out.

Could the mag spring be contributing to the issue? With the end cap removed, it sits 7 inches beyond the end of the tube. It appears that some recommend 12 - 13 inches.

Any additional thoughts from the board experts?

Thanks,

Hoover

While I am certainly no expert, it could be temperature related, especially if he used a grease or oil that thickens when cold. I use Royal Purple 85W90 gear oil (You can put it in the freezer overnight and it will still pour easily) on my M1 carrier, so far it hasn't given any trouble, even in cold weather. I don't think the magazine spring is the culprit being that the bolt seems to be short stroking based on your post.

Removing the stock and cleaning/lubing the recoil spring/plunger (with an oil that is not temperature sensitive) couldn't hurt either.

There are others that are far more experienced than I is this area, hopefully they will chime in.

Hurley

Thanks for the feedback.

Is is OK to simply remove the stock and flood the tube/mainspring with cleaning solvent/Breakfree or should the tube/mainspring be disassembled and cleaned that way?

Thanks,

Hoover

If the gun was lubricated and set on its Butt for some time oil and the crap that the oil broke louse will migrate into the stock& spring.

So Yes it would be good to remove the stock and clean the main spring & tube. :wacko: