Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confused

dajarrel

hey folks,

I'm badly confused, but I know you guys and gals will enlighten me!!!!

It has been shown how hhf can be determined if you know which numbers to manipulate. This has been explained in this forum and I think The Italian Stallion (is that right?) will usually calculate them for you if you give your time and score.

But, could you not use the hit factor of a GM who has shot the classifier at 100% ? Shouldn't that be the hit factor all others are compaired too?

I'm afraid the pizza I had for dinner last night kept me up thinkin' !!!!!!!

Thanks,

Dennis

No you can't. There's a thread pinned in the Classifiers forum in which Detlef and others straighten me out on this. The HHF is an average of the highest hit factors, not the absolute highest achieved. Basically, a shooter's hit factor might be over the HHF, but the shooter doesn't get 106.23% or whatever; he or she gets only 100%.

Here's how I understand the HHF. The good folks at Sedro Wolley have a big database of classifier scores. They averaged the highest scores in Limited and Open to determine the HHF for those divisions. If they only used the highest hit factor based on the best score ever shot, we would all suck, lol. I would imagine their stats person also trimmed the data set.

So, Limited and Open HHFs are calculated from actual classifier scores. Limited 10 is relatively new, so USPSA simply adopted the Limited HHF for Limited 10. Production hit factors are set 5% below Limited. I suppose they did that to allow for minor scoring and the difference in gear. Then there is revolver. Revolver division is a mess. In revolver division USPSA set the HHF at 10% below Limited. I imagine the 10% cushion is to allow for the DA mechanism and the reloads. The 10% cushion isn't enough to allow for standing reloads, but it's too much on classifiers that have 6 shots total or 6 shot strings.

To answer your question about using a GM hit factor of 100%, nope won't work. Let's suppose the HHF on a classifier is 10. So 10 will be 100%. If three shooters shot the classifer at 10.2, 10.5, and 11.3 respectively, all of them would receive a 100% but none of the scores are actually at 100% of the actual HHF. OTOH, if Jake comes along and shoots a 9.7 hit factor and his score comes back at 97%, we can determine the HHF to be 10. Make sense?

You think it's bad for USPSA? Atleast it can be understood and figured out. I had a college prof. that graded on a similar system. You would get a 7.3562 or what ever and you would not know your grade until the end. He kept his own data base and there was no place to go and get the high hit factor or high grade I guess.