Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 priming/powder issues

I recently purchased a1050 in.223. I had some initial priming issues (primers not getting picked up by primer slide) but that seemed to be more of a learning curve because after I made sure everything was operating and slowed down it did not happen again. I was using Winchester small rifle primers. However, I used some Wolf primers and have had several get crushed and jam everything up. Had to take the priming system off and clear the jammed up primer. I assume the Wolf primers are the issue so am switching back to Winchester.

The issue I am having with powder is that 748 gets into the detent ball that keeps the shell plate aligned and causes a jam up when I pul the lever and I have to use air to blow the powder out of the ball along with a pick to move the ball. So... I switched to VVN133 which seems to be better but was having an issue with it "bridging" in the powder funnel. I enlarged the mouth of the funnel and polished it along with the inside of the powder measure and the powder measure bar. This seems to have fixed it as I did not have an issue with the last 60 rounds I loaded. I am using a regular stroke of the handle and waiting 1 second on the down stroke to let the powder fall.

My question is: Is there any other advice you can give me in loading .223 with the 1050? I spent the extra money so I could avoid some of the PIA issues of my 650. (Which works great for loading my pistols)

Wow..... :roflol: Weird that this thread pops up, as I just got done loading my 2nd K of .223 and had to strip down the machine and clean it up for the last 1K I need to load.

This is the third time I have loaded .223 in bulk and the 2nd RL that I have done it on.

As for primers, I doubt it is just the Wolf primer. Out of the last 2k I loaded I had 13 cases not take a primer and wedge in the power drop station. I am using Wolf primers too....great stuff! I could tell by feel that the primer didnt seat, and use a tool that I have, called a long flat screwdriver that I ground down to fit properly into the space :rolleyes: to pop out the case with the primer half in.

All this brass got trimmed and swaged, so I have to blame it on the brass primer pocket. I will hand ream them and see if they will take a primer later.

IMPORTANT*****If you had a primer buggered up in the primer slide, more than likely it damaged the blue tip on the primer tube inside the primer shield. Pull that out and check it. I always buy a dozen of the tips at a time because they are the weak link....(if a primer doesnt slide into the slide it comes back and whacks the blue tip, usually damaging it. I have tried to rehabilitate them, but it is usually a loosing battle. Just replace it and I think your primer problems may be taken care of.

As for 748 and the AA2230 I use, I would think that you might need to wait a little longer on the powder drop. I rap the handle at the bottom of the stroke every damn time....mindnumbing as it is.....argh....and count 1001 1002. I dont really have any dropped powder to mess with. I learned that from suffering from the learning curve, and it was with 748.

Having said that, with the missing primers I didn't catch I had enough spilled powder that I had to clean it up after 2K of ammo. That is pretty average for the times I have loaded .223.

Another thing I do to make life easier is to shake the crap out of my prepped brass and make sure I get as much corncob out of it as I can. This makes sure the brass loads into the shellplate smoothly and I can keep my rhythm going.

I hope this info is helpful. I can load 100rds in less than 12 minutes, and they all drop at the right amount if I do the stroke the same everytime. Pretty neat machine if you ask me!

Hope this is helpful....I know you have to be in the right mood to sit and load a bunch, as it is labor intensive, but if you value your time like I value mine, it is the only way to fly!

Good luck,

DougC

• 3 weeks later...