Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat point bullets

Wanted

I have some Berrys 124gr FP bullets in 9mm. I oredered by mistake. I wanted RN. Anyway, If I keep them what load data would I use? Anyone have an idea?

Unless you were really close to max with the other load you're probably okay sticking with the same data. I'd take one of your previously loaded rounds and one of the RN bullets and figure out where the base of the RN is on the loaded round by putting them alongside one another....mark the case at that spot. Now put the base of the FP bullet on that line and try to measure a rough OAL that would work out if the RN were loaded to that depth. Then just adjust your seating die until you get that OAL. Obviously, check that the OAL isn't terribly low...like well below book minimum, but it probably won't be.

Case volume used is what manufacturers are trying to control when the publish load data. That's why it has to be with a specific bullet. If you change the bullet, they have no way of know what the case volume will be and you could get way over pressure without realizing it. Since there isn't an easy way to measure case volume used the best we can do is go off a specific bullet at a specific OAL. R,

Sorry I should have mentioned this. This is my fisrt attempt at loading 9mm. I received Dillon dies for Christmas. I have been loading .223 and .45. I have no experience with FP bullets. Thank you for the quick reply.

Sorry I should have mentioned this. This is my fisrt attempt at loading 9mm. I received Dillon dies for Christmas. I have been loading .223 and .45. I have no experience with FP bullets. Thank you for the quick reply.

You're more than welcome....you shouldn't have a problem with them and some guns actually like them better.

On an unrelated note, unless you're getting them local with no shipping, or some kind of special deal, Berrys cost more than some real jacketed bullets and about the same as some others. Precision Delta is usually less than Berrys and Montana Gold (by the case) is normally only a few dollars more per thousand at most. R,

My wife got them from Cabelas for me for Christmas. But since I don't have anything to compare them to, What kind of data do I use?

You can use lead bullet data with plated bullets (that's what Berrys recommends). Lyman has data for a 121gr flat point that should be close enough and if you tell us the powder you plan to use I'm sure somebody has data from a manual.

If you don't have a copy, Loadbooks One Book/One Caliber is really handy. It's got all of the big powder and bullet manufacturers data all in one place for about $10. Their website is loadbooks.com R,

I have some Berrys 124gr FP bullets in 9mm. I oredered by mistake. I wanted RN. Anyway, If I keep them what load data would I use? Anyone have an idea?

I don't load Berry's; but I do load that type of bullet.

The ones I load are either Black Bullets, 125 gr FP and I load Friendswood Lead Bullets in 125 gr:

If what you are loading sounds like any of these 3, you can go to Winchester's Data loading site on-line and put in your powder, blah, blah, blah and it will give you a starting point for those.

Personally, I'm loading both of those (Black Bullets and Friendswood) with 4.2 gr of Win WSF (site data starts at 4.0 gr and max is 4.7 gr) and my O.A.L is 1.135. These are shooting in my Glock 17 for Production.

*** Big note here, if you are shooting these out of S&W M&P pistol, that O.A.L. is too long!!! You need to back it down to around 1.0 O.A.L.

Hope this helps.