Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berdan brass......I fricken hate 'em

DougCarden

I am one 5 gallon bucket down on two full of .223 brass that I am processing. I must say that I really would like to meet the cheap ass $#&*^&$#* that bought and shot 100rds of BERDAN primed .223 with this batch (found 57 pieces so far....) Everything else is Lake City, Fed with a little PMC and WIN thrown in, great stuff.

I am gonna have to call Sinclair tomorrow and order some more decapping pins.....

I am now sorting through the other bucket, half done......No BERDANS so far.....ARGH..... :wacko:

I am done for the day and enjoying a Beverage right now :cheers: , but I am telling you, take the time to sort the brass and look for the Berdans....it will save you time/money/equipment in the long run!

DougC

Doug,

I feel your pain!

I keep finding them in the 5 gal. of 38 spl that I bought for CAS loads :angry2: this is even more fun when running a Dillon, it has a tendancy to break the rythm and also can lead to a heavy charge. Good thing we are running a light load.

The only thing comperable is the 38 spl cases that take a LARGE pistol primer :rolleyes:

This may not be helpful, but I have heard of a "gizzie" that is pretty much a carbide heavy duty decapping/sizing die that will punch through the bottom of the case and make a Berdan case into a Boxer case. I'm still looking as I haven't seen one but when I do I'll buy it and post on Enos any details! Having busted many a decapping pin in my life, it occurred to me that this might be a possible solution!

Doug,

I feel your pain!

I keep finding them in the 5 gal. of 38 spl that I bought for CAS loads :angry2: this is even more fun when running a Dillon, it has a tendancy to break the rythm and also can lead to a heavy charge. Good thing we are running a light load.

The only thing comperable is the 38 spl cases that take a LARGE pistol primer :rolleyes:

Or being on the other end of the spectrum 45 ACP that take small pistol primers. I sort all my brass by headstamp now since I have to sort them to get out this NT crap :angry2: :angry2:

Graham, you 'spot' the berdan primed brass by 'learning the headstamps(least for me) anything on the head stamp that would lead me to beleive its from another country, trash it, learned a hard lesson w/ some greek 308??? and for me atleast A-merc goes too(narrow flash holes) so i just turn em over in my hand before they go in the machine, anything debateable gets set aside to be looked at later or trashed

Or being on the other end of the spectrum 45 ACP that take small pistol primers. I sort all my brass by headstamp now since I have to sort them to get out this NT crap :angry2: :angry2:
I'm in this boat right now. Freaking Win NT .45 cases, one of these happy bastards shows up about every 100 loads or so. I need to have Jan sort my cases for me first.... Edited by ben b.