Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying Through Logan Airport With Guns

ipsc1

Hi. I'm making plans to fly to Florida to shoot in February. One of options involves Continental Airlines and a change of planes at Logan. Now I think I have heard that Mass. has some restrictive rules. I'm hoping that as long as I'm just transiting that there would not be a problem, but also aware that weather can cause problems at that time of year and I could end up there longer than expected. As well I've never flown Continental , are they better/worse than other choices.

Data point : I'm Canadian, with a form 6 ( only 2 weeks turn around on that) flying with pistols.

thanks

ipsc1

I have heard one horror story about a guy from Finland or Sweden who flew through NY and had was arrested and had his gun confiscated. Eventually the charges were dropped, but he never did get his gun back. He did everything right. He tried to explain what was going on to the airport officials and that he was here for a match and all that did was make it worse.

Domestic travellers would probably get by OK since bags are generally checked through to the destination, but with international you generally have to pick up your bag in person and go through customs - at which point you may be violating some BS law. It would sound like a risk to me.

Thanks, read that, and the stuff on the BATF website. Just concerned about state laws and whether or not they apply to people in transit in an airport. I've heard a lot of stories about people transiting NY airports and having heard that Massachusetts has some restrictive laws as well, I'm just looking for some input. Plus with Logans's involvement with 9/11, and subsequent security shake-up, I'm wondering if it is a good airport to transit with firearms. Flightwise it has some advantages, but not if I become separated from my guns.

ipsc1