Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 case feeder and powder measure questions

Hi all,

I just received a case feeder and new powder measures for my 650 for Christmas and have a couple questions.

First, I installed the case feeder, and in the directions, they reference a white funnel adapter for 9mm which did not come with the case feeder. The directions seem to be just a copy of some pages the greater 650 manual, did they change the feeder design and no longer require that part, or do I need to call and have one sent?

Also, the manual notes that for long cases like the .357 mag that a spacer should be installed on the case feed plate. I will be loading .45acp and .357 mag, which both seem to use the same plate. Is it ok to leave the spacer installed while using it for .45, or do I need to remove it?

According to the manual and copy of the Blue Press that my FIL sent with the 650 when he gave it to me, it appears to be a 1993 - 1995 ish version of the 650. The powder measure that came with it uses a single arm, dual return springs wrapped around the reservoir "funnel" area, and a fail safe rod with a 90 degree bend and retaining clip. The new measures that I just received, appear to use some kind of dual arm mechanism, and no springs, will these work as is with my press or do I need additional parts?

Thanks for the help.

Jayson

The case feeder adapter is normally in the conversion kit for that caliber.

There is no big problem lifting oout the case feed plate and adding or removing the spacer.

The new powder measures are as you describe, and work fine. Some bitch that the new linkage is clunky feeling.

There is no big problem lifting out the case feed plate and adding or removing the spacer.

The new powder measures are as you describe, and work fine. Some bitch that the new linkage is clunky feeling.

Thanks for replying but I think there may be some confusion in my questions.

The case feeder adapter is normally in the conversion kit for that caliber. < I was referring to the white baffle that inserts into the drop funnel on the case feeder, it sounds like you may be referring to the case feed adapter that goes on the actual feed assembly ( the caliber specific colored pieces).

There is no big problem lifting out the case feed plate and adding or removing the spacer. < From the instructions that I have you need to disassemble the "clutch" on the feed plate to insert the spacer. I was wondering if it was OK to leave in place when using the plate for the shorter .45 cases... basically I'm both lazy and forgetful and wanted to make sure it won't screw anything up or jam up the feeder.

The new powder measures are as you describe, and work fine. Some bitch that the new linkage is clunky feeling. < My question more specifically is that the system, and linkage components differ from that which I have on the press now, and if I could use the existing fail safe rod with the newer style powder measure linkage. I have no doubt as to the function of the part, merely as to whether I need additional parts to make it work with what I have, which is a failsafe rod with a 90 degree bend vs what appears to be a "z" bend in the newer style rod.

Thanks,

Jayson

There is no big problem lifting out the case feed plate and adding or removing the spacer.

Thanks for replying but I think there may be some confusion in my questions.

The case feeder adapter is normally in the conversion kit for that caliber. < I was referring to the white baffle that inserts into the drop funnel on the case feeder, it sounds like you may be referring to the case feed adapter that goes on the actual feed assembly ( the caliber specific colored pieces).

There is no big problem lifting out the case feed plate and adding or removing the spacer. < From the instructions that I have you need to disassemble the "clutch" on the feed plate to insert the spacer. I was wondering if it was OK to leave in place when using the plate for the shorter .45 cases... basically I'm both lazy and forgetful and wanted to make sure it won't screw anything up or jam up the feeder.

The new powder measures are as you describe, and work fine. Some bitch that the new linkage is clunky feeling. < My question more specifically is that the system, and linkage components differ from that which I have on the press now, and if I could use the existing fail safe rod with the newer style powder measure linkage. I have no doubt as to the function of the part, merely as to whether I need additional parts to make it work with what I have, which is a failsafe rod with a 90 degree bend vs what appears to be a "z" bend in the newer style rod.

First you cannot use your old rod with the new powder measure. After a couple thousand rounds, the new powder measures work great - but they are clunckly.

On the spacer, I've called dillon several times concerning it. I have been told that you need it and I have been told that you don't. Bottom line is that If you have a problem feeding cartridges, add the spacer. Other than that, I leave it off. The idea of the space is to raise the plate up to help in grabbing a cartridge in a slot.

Next "White Baffle" in the drop funnel. I've never seen one (I've only had my 650 for 2 years). I reload every year, overr 5k of 30-06, 2k of .223 and 2k of 9mm and never seen a whith baffle ? So I can't help you here - Maybe a picture would be good

Thanks,

Jayson

First you cannot use your old rod with the new powder measure. After a couple thousand rounds, the new powder measures work great - but they are clunckly.

On the spacer, I've called dillon several times concerning it. I have been told that you need it and I have been told that you don't. Bottom line is that If you have a problem feeding cartridges, add the spacer. Other than that, I leave it off. The idea of the space is to raise the plate up to help in grabbing a cartridge in a slot.

Next "White Baffle" in the drop funnel. I've never seen one (I've only had my 650 for 2 years). I reload every year, overr 5k of 30-06, 2k of .223 and 2k of 9mm and never seen a white baffle ? So I can't help you here - Maybe a picture would be good

I didn't think the rod would work, I'll have to give them a call and see if I can get the newer style..

Thanks for the info on the spacer, I guess I'll see what happens.

The "White Baffle" is listed in the full press manual as being needed when using 9mm, .380 or other small cases in the case feeder. A quick look on Dillons site 650 casefeeder shows the case feeder, and if you look in front of it, there is a small white piece of plastic. that piece is supposed to be inserted into the drop funnel of the case feeder to prevent cases from falling into the case feed tube upside down. Of course from what I can see in my older manual versus my new case feeder is that it appears the drop funnel was changed from a rectangular design to a rounder one now.

+1 on JMorris.

Current production case feed funnel is now round, and no adapter is necessary. To ensure the case feed keeps up with you, it is recommended that you install the washer under the case feed plate for .357. The issue with .45ACP is if you leave the washer in place, the shorter cases can roll underneath the feed plate and lift it up, causing feed problems.

The new style funnel assembly is a swap out replacement for the earlier style. It pretty much eliminates flipping cases sideways. 9mm can still have some issues if the case feed bowl moves during handle cycling. Firmly anchoring the bowl to the wall eliminates that.