Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Temp. vary/ What powder

caz41

I am a newbie to reloading 38 super and I am ready to get going. So I have read several threads about the temperature varying FPS of a round with some powders. My deal is where I live with the Lake effect weather, it is not at all uncommon to have 30-40 degree temp swings from day to day. What is the best powder to use for loading for major and having the least amount of temp variance?

Gun is a full size with Ti comp using 124gr MG's.

I certainly don't know about all of the powders out there, but the VV line seems to be less temperature sensitive than some of the other brands. I've used N105, N350 and 3N38 over a broad spread of temps and haven't seen a significant change with any of them. I know 7625 is reverse temp sensitive, and it's enough for it to make a difference. I think 4756 may be as well, but I can't recall for certain. I'm sure others will chime in with more on those. R,

Which out of those have you had the best results with?

N105, but I've probably done more testing with that than anything else. My guns like it (no popple holes, no hybrids etc), it puts out a ton of gas to work the comp and is extremely soft. Downside is you use a lot of it (10grs with a 121 would be where I'd start testing) so you only get 650 or so rounds per pound, they only sell it in 1lb containers and it's expensive.

I've chrono'd my normal load (10.5gr with a MG 115gr JHP) from in the high 40s to the mid 90s and only seen a point or two variation in PF....which you'll get just based on different days with different lighting. It seems ever so slightly positively temp sensitive, but that could have been a coincidence as it's not a big change. I'm going to try and find a really cold day here this winter and chrono it in the teens if possible. R,

Are there any others that are less temp sensitive. I am heading to pick some powder up this afternoon and if they don't have any vv I would like grab a pound of something to give me something to do over the weekend.

Is there some type of resource that states which powders are temperature sensitive? Or is it mostly a trial and error type deal?

Not that I know of. Found a little bit of info where people are talking about it. The new Autocomp might be worth looking into. There might be a thread on it in the .40 section, but I've shot with guys that are very happy with it in Super right now.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1116504

Thanks for the replies. VV is pretty hard to find around where I live, none of the shops carry it and don't want to order it for fear of not selling enough. What is the best place to order powder online?

Is there some type of resource that states which powders are temperature sensitive? Or is it mostly a trial and error type deal?

Not that I know of. Found a little bit of info where people are talking about it. The new Autocomp might be worth looking into. There might be a thread on it in the .40 section, but I've shot with guys that are very happy with it in Super right now.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1116504

I may have to give the autocomp a run and see how that works.

Thanks for the replies. VV is pretty hard to find around where I live, none of the shops carry it and don't want to order it for fear of not selling enough. What is the best place to order powder online?

I've gotten it from Powder Valley, Grafs (note shipping is included in price), and one or two others (maybe Natchez) over the years. Bobby Keegans from Freedom Gunworks is a sponsor here, carries VV, has good prices and is a pleasure to deal with. R,