Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Split Times

kaiserb

Today was my first day practicing with a timer.   I have dry fired over and over to get my draw and stance correct however I am working on speed at the moment.  I shoot revolver division and noticed that I am sloooooowwwww compared with other shooters at competitions.   Today I shot bill drills and a few el presidente's.  My first shot time is around 1.35-1.50, and my average split is about 0.26.  Does anyone have any experience in revolver shooting to know what a good par time is for splits?

I have done a lot of dry fire practice since my last match.  From the last match where I placed 28th out of 30.  My splits were around .35 and my draw to first shot was about 1.75.  My reloads are sometimes the killer.  I have reloaded as fast as 2.6 and as slow as 5.5, depending upon the method used and the amount of anxiety at the time of the reload.

Been a long time revolver shooter and even though I don't get out (in this case up to Tucson) to matches I still do a lot of revolver shooting.  In my case my standard split times with my revolvers are around 0.15 - 0.17 seconds. Not sure how these compare to the ICORE types but it at least gives you some idea of the split times with a revolver.

Neal in AZ

Are you shooting a moon clip gun or speedloaders? That might have a little to do with your reload speed. The main thing for reloads is smooth. Are you shooting USPSA or IDPA? Your draw and split times aren't too  bad. I'll bet you are losing time elsewhere. Remember you can be pulling the trigger while you are moving from target to target with a revolver. :)

Bill Nesbitt

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying Bill drills with a 627 for the first time last week.  Splits were .20 or .21 seconds.  Once I had a .19. The best Bill drill time was 2.23 seconds.  I would like to shoot a 1.99.  

The El Prez was slow, shot to shot reloads were 3.0 seconds at the very best.  A little booble ran the reload up to 4 seconds or even 5 for a flubbed reload.

IDPA Expert, USPSA B class.