Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing A Powder

Vlad

I am relatively new at reloading and I would like to get about 8# of powder shipped so I can save some money. I currently shoot 9mm 147's but soon I might get a .40 and I would like to make sure that whatever powder I get would work nicely in both. I am not worried if it is not ideal for either as long as it is good and safe for both. What do you suggest?

Vlad

Vlad,

What kind of .40? There is a difference between a 1911 .40 loaded long and a Glock/Sig/CZ.... .40. For the longer loads, then N320 is good because it is really good in the 9mm and one of the better powders for .40 "LONG". I am a little hesitant of using a fast powder like N320 in a factory .40, though I know others that do. If that were the case, I'd go with a medium burn powder such as Universal Clays or IMR 7625 or N320.

Note: I use Universal Clays in my 147 9mm, Dave O uses N320 in his 147 9mm.

[Added] Fast powders are ok in "stock" .40s for shooting minor.

Edited by Bucky

Both the 9 and 40 will be factory CZ's. I use Clays for 9 115's but I didnt find any data for using it with 147, as well not making major in 40 with 180s (with Hodgdon published data). Currently I have been using #5 for 147s with some success.

The data for TG looks nice, but I have no experience with it. It also looks like a very economical option. Keep in mind that I am not that good that the powder will make a much of a difference to my scores.

Vlad

Vlad,

Sorry I missed this one on the "show new posts" somewhere down the road. If you are looking for the most versatile powder, my bet would go for 7625. You can load 115 and 147 9mms, minor .40 loads. The cool thing is, you can also shoot major .40 safely out of a non-1911 .40. In fact, at the last OB match I was using 7625 to shoot major in a Beretta Vertec .40.

Oh yeah, and it also works for both major and minor .38 super loads if you ever go to the dark side. The only thing I am not sure if it will do is .45.

-- Bucky.

Thank you all. It looks like I could get 7625 for $74/5# or TG $85/8#. From a price point of view the TG beats all as far as I can tell, plus seems to really work in everything. Thank you all very much. This is the kind of help that one can not easily get elsewhere.

Vlad

PS: hey Buckey, I am holding you responsible for not seeing my post earlier. How dare you not check by hand and trust the board??? :D