Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead bullets and smoke

Mo Zee

I shot some spfx 55 gr Hornady 22 cal handloads in a new build today after a partial break in of 300 rounds the smoke at 2300 fps was unique ... All the way out to target at 75yrds

Grouping was excellent no primer problems no neck problems I suspected the lead. I believe this forum answered It. 23.6 gr imr 3031

It's worth mentioning

I could clearly see the path of bullet and the spin of smoketrail left by the rifling on the speeding bullet...

I will have to take these to my lease and see how they look on night vision. 

>Have your doc run a blood lead level test and make sure you get it done every year.

What a load of BS. You get more exposure to lead from the primers.

Hear are all the safety measures to take for casting and handling lead bullets:

1) don't eat at the bench

2) don't drink at the bench

3) don't smoke at the bench

4) don't pick you nose at the bench

5) don't rub your eyes at the bench

6) wash your hands and blow your nose after you leave the bench

Note: the bench can be either the reloading bench or the shooting bench. All the same rules apply. You do wash your hands and blow your nose thoroughly after every shooting session, right?

PS: no self-gratification at the bench either.

I asked for a test several years ago (very early '80s, I believe) as part of standard blood work-up. Came back at 6 µg/dL, which my doctor said was the same as ZERO. This was after more than a decade of casting, reloading, and shooting competitively and recreationally, shooting at least 5000 rounds a year.

A few years later (when I was 55 years old) I asked my doctor for the test again. He told be that it didn't matter at my age any more. The danger is to children as their bodies/nervous systems grow.

Now, just so people learn about the "DANGERS" of lead, the CDC has a little game they play. They get blood samples from some number of children and test for blood lead levels. They then take the average and establish THAT as the new "safe" lead blood level. They are currently down to 5 µand will continue dropping it as they can. This is NOT based on any problem the child has, not based on any medical reason, not based on any science (just control)—as they say, they just consider that no child should ever be above the average lead blood level. This way, they get lots of funding to keep us "safe." Note: half of any test population will be above the average for any test.