Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disconnector Is Not Disconnecting

Bill Schwab

Dealing with a Caspian open gun in 38 Supercomp w/Springfield slide. There is enough gap between the slide and frame to not allow the slide to push the disconnector down enough to activate, therefore when you fire the gun the hammer follows as the slide closes.

If I have the slide off of the gun I can physically push the disconnector down to active it. I have tried this same slide on other 100% reliable 1911 frames and it doesn't disconnect any of them, so I think I've narrowed the problem down to the slide. I've also tried 3 other disconnectors in this gun all with no luck.

I really don't want to consider replacing the slide as an option, so my question is whether or not there is a workaround to this, such as a specially made longer than usual disconnector (a Brownells review proved fruitless).

And will I damage any of the trigger components if I fire the gun in its current condition?

Thanks!

Bill,

The thing I would be worried about is damageing the sear nose with the half cock notch. You will have to get a longer disconnector to have the gun work properly (you already know that). Do you have anyone who can weld your current disconnector "head" to make it longer? That would get you more material and then you could fit it to work properly. That's about the only thing I can think of that has a possibility of working.

FWIW: I measured my current disconnector and it's 1.309". That's out of a STI frame and slide.

Hope that helps.

Ray C.

• 1 month later...

:wub: My slide is dragging on the disconnector a little too much. Im woried it might slow down my battery. is there too much tension on the middle leaf spring?

Dont tell me to send it to a gunsmith, cause I need it for a match in November.

do those drop-in hammer and sear (3 lb ) kits really work. thanks

Drop in kits will work as long as you know how to tweak the 3 or 4 leaf spring that comes with the package. I have a Para that is built for limited with a drop in trigger job and most people that have fired it says I'm full of it. It has a 2.5 lb trigger pull that will rival my open guns. usually takes me half a day just to do the trigger jobs on my open guns. josh