Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So What All Do I Need For An Xl 650 Setup?

raider1v1

If you really want to make the conversions easy, get a second toolhead and powder measure. Experiment with the case feeding parts on the press body --- I use mostly .40 parts to feed my 9mm cases reliably, the 9mm parts tend to cause case feed jams if a piece of tumbling media falls down the chute next to the case --- you might be able to use the .45 parts for both.

I'll recommend against a second priming system --- you'll need to change the primer punch in any case and the priming system is the weakest link on that press. To reliably feed primers it needs to be clean, so caliber change over time is a good time to take it all apart and clean out the gunk.

I have no experience with the .40, so I don't know if one casefeeder wheel will reliably feed both types of cases.

Oh, if you can find someone to do the loading an switching chores for you, you'll be way ahead of the game.... :P:P

Raider:

Below is a list of all the parts that set up a 650 for a cartridge. Don't panic this is not nearly as tough to manage as it first seems.

Complete Conversion Kit

Shellplate Number

Locator Button

Funnel

Station 1 Locator

Casefeed Adaptor

Arm Bushing

Body Bushing

Casefeed Disc

Primer System

Powder Check Rod

By looking at the part numbers for each of these cartridges, you can see that some are the same, and some are different. Below is a break down of those. When you order the press, you choose a cartridge and Dillon sets it up that way. So, you'll have to either share the common parts and buy the others individually, or just buy the other conversion kit. My observation is that if you have to buy shell plates, it is not worth ordering individual parts, the shell plate is most of the cost and having spares around can be helful.

I don't have much insight on using parts other than Dillon's listings between 45 and 40. I don't have any problem philosophical problem with it, I just don't load 40 so I can't tell which can be interchanged other than what Dillon lists.

You will have to get 2 priming systems (Large and Small), the 45 takes a large, the 40 takes small.

I agree with Nik, get a second tool head, stand, and powder measure. This will make things much faster. I also recco the power casefeeder. This component speeds things up considerably since you don't have to handle the cases.

Don't even think about not getting the powder check. It will keep you from making potentially dangerous mistakes.

Sorry about the Glock dig - I think they are engaging in a little revisionist history so they don't have to mention other manufacturers in their literature

Hope this helps.

Parts that are the same between the 2 cartridges

Casefeed Adaptor: (Red) 13143

Arm Bushing: (Red) 13403

Body Bushing: (Med) 13604

Casefeed Disc: (Large Pistol) 21072

Parts that are Different between the 2 cartridges

40S&W (Now called 40 Auto by Glock)

Complete Conversion: 21120 (includes all the parts listed at top)

Shell Plate: (W) 13310

Locator Button: (2) 14062

Powder Funnel: (W) 13600

Station 1 Locator: 13267

Primer System: Sm

Powder Check Rod: Med

45ACP (Now called 45 Auto by Glock)

Complete Conversion: 21071 (includes all the parts listed at top)

Shell Plate: (1) 13204

Locator Button: (1) 13930

Powder Funnel: (E) 13782

Station 1 Locator: 13595

Primer System: Lg

Powder Check Rod: Lg

• 2 weeks later...

I load both 40 and 45. You need both conversion kits (one should come with the machine if you are ordering it from Dillon). If you are ordering a 650 from Dillon and they set it up for one caliber, get a 650 quick change kit for the other caliber. It will include a stand to hold the toolhead for the caliber that you do not have on the machine. Get the casefeeder. I am not sure if one plate works for both, I have both pistol plates. Get two powder checks, or buy 3 at a discount. As far as the priming system goes, all I can say is make sure you have loaded a lot of the caliber you have on the machine before you switch the machine over to loading the other caliber. Not that it's a problem doing it, but the time it does take you could have loaded a lot of ammo!! You will also need a scale, caliper, etc, etc. if you are just starting to reload. Hope you enjoy your machine, the only thing I find more enjoyable than using mine is spending time on the range!

Raider,

Order your press in .45. The reason is that you can usually find .40 conversion kits, and dies on various classifieds.

After that, pretty much what everyone else was saying. Get a .40 caliber conversion kit and a Quick Change Kit. This will cover you and make life much simpler.

The conversion takes about 15-20 minutes. The bear on the 650 will be changing out the priming system. Otherwise, it's a snap. I also have a 1050, and believe me, it's much simpler on my 650.

If you've never done a caliber conversion a good pick up is Dillon's 650 video. They load .38 Special and then switches to .30-06. It definitely gives you a great crash course in doing the conversion (if you can stay awake through the video) :D .

Hope that helps.

Rich

I had a 650 w/ casefeeder and the auto primer tube filler (RL-100) for 4 years or so and then recently bought a 1050 for loading my 9mm. If I had know the difference between the two machines 5 years ago, I never would have bothered with the 650. The 1050 is much nicer, much quicker, and my primers are never high. Also I perfer the Midway primer filler over the dillon.

Brian helped me figure out what to get for an XL650 setup to load: .45, .40, .44MAG, and .308.

We got everything in the "first pass" except for a toolhead stand for the "1st" caliber - the one the 650 came in.

1    16926    650 in 45 ACP   
1    21080    Lg Pistol Casefeed Assem.   
1    17950    550/650 Roller Handle, aluminum    
1    22214    SqDeal/550/650 Bullet Tray   
1    21044    3? Powder check system (650/1050 only)    
1    21146    650 Spare Pts kit    
1    10443    650 Machine Cover    
1    11093    RF 100 Primer filler combo    
1    21105    650 44 Mag/Special conversion    
1    21094    650 308/30.06 conversion    
2    22059    650 Deluxe Quick Change kit   
2    20064    3? Powder Die    
1    21374    Powder check rod assem, 44 to 45 cal  
1    13898    jam nuts for rod sleeve    
1    12685    Rod sleeve for powder check  
1    15166    Dillon 45 acp stainless case gage    
1    20255    Rapid Polish, Case    
1    21075    Lg Rifle Casefeed plate    
1    10668    1" bench wrench & 5, 1" lock rings    
1    10669    5-Pack Lock rings    

1    21120    650 40/10mm cal conversion    
1    22059    650 Deluxe Quick Change kit  
1    14398    40 cal/10mm die set    
1    15164    Dillon 40 cal stainless case gage    
1    20064    3? Powder Die  
1    21373    Powder check rod assem, 30 to 41 cal    
1    21065    650 Small priming assembly  

If you already have dies for a caliber, make sure you have separate seating and crimp dies - it makes adjusting them so much easier, and you can use the Lee Factory Crimp die.

-z