Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

advice on 158gr xtp loads

sfort

I'm looking to develop a couple of hunting loads for my S&W 27, .357. I've done searches on here looking for the info I need and couldn't find what I needed. Going by the Lee book, it says to use h110 to produce the highest velocities. The question I have is it a clean powder when loaded to 15gr. behind the 158 gr. barnes xtp? Also, I'm looking to load a 158 gr. LRN with 13.9 gr. of Herc 2400. Is this a clean powder? If they aren't, could you let me know if there are cleaner powders out there for these loads? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW...the charges are the minimums in the Lee book.

Steve

In my experience, Hornady XTP bullets, especially the heavier weights, give very good accuracy in revolvers. The H110 load should be

very clean burning. The 2400 load won't be as clean, partly because of a lead bullet, but should still be ok as long as the bullet doesn't

lead up the barrel. I've had good luck with H4227 in 44 Mag. H4227 is one of Hogdon's extreme powders, which means the velocity is

not affected much by cold or heat. My Silhouette load with a 300 gr. XTP and 18gr. of H4227 in a 8-3/8 M629 will shoot 6" groups at 200m.

H110 and 296 work well but need to be at max loads to burn well. AA#9 works well at less than max loads but will give slightly lower velocities at it's max. The 158 (and 180) XTP's work really well and usually give very good accuracy.

Thanks for the info on the xtp's. This may be a stupid question, but is there any popwder that burns clean behind lead bullets or do they all smoke pushing lead? How good are the lazer-cut LFN's? Thinking about loading them for hog hunting. I know this is mainly a competition forum, but I figured with all the expertise I've seen on here, ya'll would be able to answer with no problems.

Steve

The "old" standard for .357 high preassure loads was 2400. 2400 was the first powder used by handloaders for the cartridge as far as I know. Some good information avalable in Sharpes complete guide to handloading. Long out of print but published just when the .357 became commericaly avalable.

My experence has been 4227 is a bit slower burning and cleaner. I use so few full power .357 loads it makes no sense for me to look for the Peak of velocity when 4227 is within a few FPS from peak potential. I always have it on hand for the old straight side cartridges like 32/40. Having said all that H 110 or ACC # 9 are frequenty used for the .357 with good sucess.

Personaly I think LFN is the way to go for hunting loads in any revolver. Am always skeptical of bullet expansion at low velocicy. That pistol may be fast at the muzzle but see a hog at 25 or more yards it's not going fast enough to make expansion a sure thing. Lead always works well. I don't know what to do about the smoke other than accept it's going to smoke. It's not a handicap in hunting situations.

Boats

Edited by Boats

I'll be using the XTP's for deer and other game like that...soft skinned. The LFN's will be used for hogs only. Never know when you'll be backpedaling and having to fire point blank at them. Seems to happen fairly often with me and my friends when we hunt hogs. Are the Lazer-cut cast bullets accurate?

On a different topic...which competition is the easiest to get started in? I know we have some IDPA shoots around here (North Mississippi). Does anybody know of others? I would like to use either my S&W 27 or my 92fs to start with.

is there any popwder that burns clean behind lead bullets or do they all smoke pushing lead? How good are the lazer-cut LFN's?

I use AA#9 for lead and jacketed. It's slow enough to minimize bullet lube smoke with lead. As for "lazer-cut LFN's" you pretty much need to try them.