Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten ConeHead

Chris Spiess

This is a spin off thread from Henning's topic about his new guide rod...

A tungsten solution is something I have considered. I could make a two-piece ConeHead with a screw-on tungsten piece, but as you said it'll be expensive and I'm not sure how big demand would be for it. Personally I think the Match would benefit the strongest. The Limited in my opinion is okay as is, but you know.. maybe a tungsten rod is the cat's meow... let's try it.

Here's probably the way to go...

In fact if you wanted that today, I bet Rich at Canyon Creek would make you a setup using my guide rod and turn a tungsten piece to fit. Rich already have made the traditional guiderod out of tungsten. A blend of his tungsten rod custom-fitted to my ConeHead could be a exactly what you're looking for. The hardened cone steel head will hold up the beating and the tungsten for added front weight.

I'll be sending some of my new designs to Rich next week and he could turn some custom rods to match up.

I am looking to determine how many folks would be interested in a tungsten version of the new ConeHead guide rod design. I've talked to Rich @ Canyon Creek Custom. previously about a custom tungsten guide rod and would be willing to contact him about making up a batch of them either as complete tungsten units or as a two piece design using a screw in tungsten extension to a shortened steel Henning rod if there are enough interested parties. Expect that this is at least a $100 outlay. If you are interested in this please post a response here or PM me

This is of course assuming I can get Henning's blessing to pursue this.

This is a spin off thread from Henning's topic about his new guide rod...
A tungsten solution is something I have considered. I could make a two-piece ConeHead with a screw-on tungsten piece, but as you said it'll be expensive and I'm not sure how big demand would be for it. Personally I think the Match would benefit the strongest. The Limited in my opinion is okay as is, but you know.. maybe a tungsten rod is the cat's meow... let's try it.

Here's probably the way to go...

In fact if you wanted that today, I bet Rich at Canyon Creek would make you a setup using my guide rod and turn a tungsten piece to fit. Rich already have made the traditional guiderod out of tungsten. A blend of his tungsten rod custom-fitted to my ConeHead could be a exactly what you're looking for. The hardened cone steel head will hold up the beating and the tungsten for added front weight.

I'll be sending some of my new designs to Rich next week and he could turn some custom rods to match up.

I am looking to determine how many folks would be interested in a tungsten version of the new ConeHead guide rod design. I've talked to Rich @ Canyon Creek Custom. previously about a custom tungsten guide rod and would be willing to contact him about making up a batch of them either as complete tungsten units or as a two piece design using a screw in tungsten extension to a shortened steel Henning rod if there are enough interested parties. Expect that this is at least a $100 outlay. If you are interested in this please post a response here or PM me

This is of course assuming I can get Henning's blessing to pursue this.

As per Henning, the extra weight will only benfit the plastic frame, for us using limited custom, it might not make a big different.

I m still not 100% sure. But if there is one, I m will to have a try.

I'm not 100% only plastic frame on this topic. I've said that I think it'll be very beneficial to Match owners (still a steel gun, but a short dustcover). This opinion is rooted in having both had a short and long dustcover limited gun and seen the difference. I'm pretty happy with how the balance of the Limited, but that is limited knowledge since I haven't tried with the tungsten guide rod. So.... I'd be interested in a guide rod from Rich as well with the combo setup.

Of course Rich and everyone has my blessing. We're just here to improve this shit and have fun on the range. Let's see if we can get Rich to make 10 or more to make it worth his time and get us some new and cool products. State your interest so I know how many "ConeHead" 's to ship to Rich next week. Maybe we'll all be convinced and find that it's superior to the setup we're already running. Let's try, I'm in.

btw. for those who ever saw "The Pelican" from STS... in 2004, their top shooter had a pretty ridiculous weighted dustcover that looked like a pelican's beek. It was said to be less recoil bla bla... it was extremely heavy and hard to swing between targets. I handled it, but never shot it. But as far as I know it wasn't pursued. Probably for the reason that the gun was too heavy.

It's important to keep an open mind and try, re-try, re-try, re-try etc... When the long dustcover open guns came out I wasn't convinced, but I tried it. I compared the long to my short 38 super. I liked the short better. Then I took a long and cut it to half-length and figured in my head it would be the shit. Testing showed me over and over that the short was better (for me). The dot settled a lot less nervous with the less weight and I was convinced. I chopped the final part of the dustcover off and that gun is now what's been ionbond'ed and modified to the nTh degree.

I think a heavier Guide rod would be a cool option for the Match and Limited Pro pistols that have a short dust cover. But the long dust cover Limited version is enough of a super tanker as it is. I don't recall what the overall weight is of my limited but it’s heavy when compared to the STI/SVI guns.

It’s also interesting to see that with the metal grips that have come out for the STI/SVI guns it’s bringing their "Fighting Weight" back up to where the EAA/Tanfo guns are.

I have come to the conclusion that you can go fiddle crazy with the weight distribution of your pistol and all it really does is make it shoot "Different". Not Better or Worse, just different. Knowing that, I am not going to screw around with the weight of the gun any more and simply shoot it as is.

State your interest so I know how many "ConeHead" 's to ship to Rich next week. Maybe we'll all be convinced and find that it's superior to the setup we're already running. Let's try, I'm in.

Henning sounds like you're gonna handle this with Rich, thanks. I'm in for one assuming the cost in not outrageous - $125 is a bit of a high ceiling, but i'd be willing to do one for that. Less is always better of course ;). I knew coming over to Tanfo that parts would be more expensive with...well...um...virtually no after market for them. 1911/2011 has dozens and dozens of after market parts manufacturers which drive the price down.

Post here or shot out an email to those interested when you have some news. I need to pick up a few small parts from you at the same time.

I should qualify that my advocacy for this option is for shooting limited. I don't think I'd be interested in a tungsten rod for open. In fact, I run a hollow guide rod on my open STI. Recoil reduction on those animals should be tuned with the comp and finding the right load obviously.