Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with a 610 today

S&WIowegan

I was at the range today and there was only one other guy shooting. He sighted in the laser on his Ruger LCP. Then he got out a 4" 610 and started firing 10mm ammo labeled "Huntington Ammo" from WV. He was using the split tab moons. He was able to fire only 3 rounds of a clip before the gun tied up and he could not open the cylinder.

I could see the moon clip and brass were jammed against the recoil shield. I used a gunsmith hammer with teflon tip to rap the cylinder while holding the thumblatch. The cylinder came open on the first tap but we had to tap the ejector rod to extract the rounds. The brass looks like new Top Brass brand. The primers were flattened and then dished inwards. All unfired rounds had the bullets still in original length(no crimp jump). The owner had also fired .40 S&W factory ammo with no problems and no primer damage at all. He also told me he had successfully used Buffalo Bore 10 mm ammo in the gun.

Later in the afternoon, I suggested he try the Huntington rounds without the moon clips since the cylinder has the shoulder to hold the rounds. All went well for 4 rounds, them the gun tied up again. I realize the ammo must be extremely hot, but that's what the 10 mm round is all about. Has anyone else had this experience in a 610 with Huntington or other factory ammo?

Bob

A16841

christ, how desperate does a guy have to be to buy ammunition loaded in West Virginia? ;)

You might know Mike would use my thread to tweak Perdue.........Bob where are you? We need some field work here.

Sadly, my new friend says he bought lots of the stuff. :angry:

Bob.

A16841

Might need to clean the chambers after firing 40s in it. The longer 10mms could be getting formed around the dirt in the chamber,

thus making for hard extraction. The primers are dished inward because the part on the recoil shield around the firing pin is dished

outward on all the newer guns. The primers are as they should be.

Edited by Toolguy

The 10mm WV ammo might be to hot :surprise: What is the bullit wate ? cast or jacked? all clues that we nead. I run all max loads in 40 1200 fps 175 gr cast and 180 jacked with mag primers. And turn right around and shot my 10s with the same 175 gr cast and 180 jacked at 1350 fps no gun problems just a loght of shoting and sour hand 600 + rounds in just 40 and 400 in 10mm rught befor the shoting seeson start's. :sight::sight: