Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up for .223/5.56

saibot

Experts, I have a Dillon 650XL that I've been using to build 9mm and I would like to start reloading .223/5.56. What do I need to buy? I know I want a new shell plate so I don't disturb my 9mm setup.

1. Which dies? I was looking at either the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set or the Dillon 3 die set (or the Dillon 2 die set and the Lee FCD).

2. Do I need to buy a different expander/powder filler die?

3. Anything else I need to order? I have all of the reaming/sizing non-press items. Anything I'm missing for the press?

Thanks in advance!

Experts, I have a Dillon 650XL that I've been using to build 9mm and I would like to start reloading .223/5.56. What do I need to buy? I know I want a new shell plate so I don't disturb my 9mm setup.

1. Which dies? I was looking at either the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set or the Dillon 3 die set (or the Dillon 2 die set and the Lee FCD).

3. Anything else I need to order? I have all of the reaming/sizing non-press items. Anything I'm missing for the press?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum...

This topic has been discussed several times in the past.

Do a search TONS of info out here.

Or click on this link for the search that I did for you below.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...e=%2B223+on+650

Edited by maineshootah

Thanks in advance!

For me, I would get 2 toolheads, one with just a sizing/decapping die.

The other die would have all the remaining dies.

You will need a caliber conversion kit for the 650 or the apppropriate parts (including powder die). You may want to get a second powder measure/quick change depending on how often you plan on switching back and forth between 9mm and 223.

I have a set of the Dillon dies, but also have a Redding competition seating die (allows excellent control on seating depth). You will need lube, and sooner or later a trimmer, and of course case gauge and reloading manuals.

Call Brian he will help you get whatever you need.

search function is definitely your friend on this one, will add the following

+1 for dillon .223 die set. their carbide expander ball is worth every penny, and to get a carbide expander from RCBS or redding is an extra charge that will ultimately cost you about as much for one of their sizing dies + expander ball as you'd pay for the dillon die set. Also - i've had completely amazing service from dillon on their dies - couple of problems (all my fault, like hammering the sizing die down ona bent decapping pin and actually putting a dent in the bottom of the sizing die). Dillon actually fixed all of my boneheaded moves for free and never once said anything like "how the heck did you do that". I'd buy their stuff all over again just for that.

-jared