Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock selection, not length this time, but weight.

kwrangln

The idea off the VTac barrel nut with carbon tube allready crossed my mind too but most off the weight is in the barrel nut off the VTac

That's a good point patrick. My thinking had been that the barrel nut, though a bit heavy, being closer to the axis of rotation wouldn't matter as much as the tube which extends farther out. I think I still have an unused clark tube and and an un-used vtac. I'll try to weigh them and see what the diff is.

Edited by caspian guy

then i fitted the lower screw with a PRI 3 '' rail

Not sure the purpose of adding the rail. I've decided to order one of the Clarks and experiment with the nut and bolt idea. I'm wondering if one nut at 6 o'clock would be enough. Have to wait and see.

Not sure the purpose of adding the rail

I shoot open class ipsc rifle with it ,and when i need to get some shots on longer range in the beginning of a stage where i can use my 27 inch bipod and then loose it for the rest of the stage the rail comes in handy with my Larue quick detach harris adapter.

I shoot open class ipsc rifle with it ,and when i need to get some shots on longer range in the beginning of a stage where i can use my 27 inch bipod and then loose it for the rest of the stage the rail comes in handy with my Larue quick detach harris adapter.

Didn't even know that there was such a beast. And never thought of mounting a bipod toward the middle of a rifle like that. Interesting idea.

Edited by Graham Smith

Could the Clark be cut up to match the slots on the Vtac? Or would that compromise the structural integrity of the tube? Not to familiar with carbon fiber's properties after being cut. I ask this because I use the JP short range sight as to not be put in open.

I created a short, light fixed stock by taking the round, collapsed-carbine-length buffer tube out of a Rock River short, fixed stock, shortening the lower tube on an ACE stock and having a buddy lathe turn a short extension for the buffer tube. I played with a collapsible to figure out the right length, then translated to the fixed unit. A longer screw sandwiches the extension between the ACE buttplate and the Rock River tube. I just don't like the wiggle of the collapsibles and they don't feel good against my cheek. Haven't tried the Magpuls, etc. with the better cheekpieces. Gun fits me and feels good to me, and that's all that matters for any shooter to do better.

Could the Clark be cut up to match the slots on the Vtac?

I don't think so. If you start to make that kind of change, I think that the structural integrity would deteriorate pretty fast. It is, basically, a fiberglass tube and it's the tubular structure that provides the rigidity.

After tinkering with my new Clark handguard, I have to admit that it is lighter and makes for a better weight distribution (for me). I do find that it's a tiny bit loose on the barrel nut, but I'm guessing if I actually glue it in place, that will take care of that. But since I decided to see if I could screw (bolt) it in place, I found just a couple pieces of electrical tape in the right locations gave me a nice snug fit.

As to the bolt, after trying a number of different things, I could not find anything that I liked for adhering the nut inside the tube. But while rummaging thorough the bins at the home center store, I ran across some plastic "hole plugs". The have a broad flat head and a forked shaft with little "barbs" on the end. I made sure that the hole was just a bit tight then tapped one in with a rubber mallet and viola, a nice secure handguard. And if I want to take it apart later, the plug will pull out again. Only downside is that the plugs is white, but a little felt pen fixed that.