Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Cerakote two-tone M&P 9L

MemphisMechanic

Let us know how the Cerakote holds up.

Who did your coating/refinishing?

Jeff

I did it myself. Probably the 12th-15th gun I've refinished. :)

How did you do it / what is your technique? I have a FS 9 that the finish has worn off on the sides of the slide and this might be a nice winter project for me.

Doing it again, I'd go back to Duracoat. Cerakote is thinner, so its a PITA to get a thick durable finish.

Either one, you mask and sandblast the slide with a small spot blaster you can get from harbor freight for $30, spray it with an airbrush, and bake the slide in an oven at 200ish for a few hours.

I'm also going to run a strip of grip tape down the frontstrap.

I'll be interested to hear how that holds up. I'd sure like to put grip tape on the front strap of my M&P, but I'm worried about the edges peeling up and leaving me with a sticky mess. I like the Accurate Iron grip insert in back, and wish I could get the same texture on the front strap. The M&P front strap is positively slick compared to the checkered front straps I'm used to on my 1911s and 2011.

Edited by bbbean

Having done this to the Glocks Ive been running for years, I can already tell you how itll hold up.

Heat and sweat and sunscreen and friction from your hands will require you to replace it every 3 months or so. It still sticks just fine, you just wear down enough of the gritvthat theres no point in keeping it.

Carb cleaner and Gun Scrubber both dissolve the adhesive, so it wipes rigjht off after removal. Obviously, that means you want to keep them off of any good tape on the frame while cleaning. ;)

I use tread safety tape from home depot. Its near the masking tape in the paint section. Enough for a lifetime is about $12.

When I switch to the MnP 4" 9mm for carry, it'll get a taped frontstrap. The backstrap is out because it would snag on clothes, but the frontstrap tape on this gun is much more helpful than my stippled backstrap anyway. Do it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Gun is a Smith & Wesson M&P 9L

Trigger shortened & lightened to 3.5-4.0lb (followed the Burwell DIY)

Dawson Precision sights (fiber-optic front)

The slide and levers/buttons refinished with Cerakote in 'Stainless' color.

Burwell extra-power striker spring

Factory recoil assembly

I stippled the factory backstrap to make it extra grippy when it's 103* outside, and I've got sunscreen on my hands. I plan to cover a second backstrap insert in grip tape, and use that during major IDPA matches - where stippled frames and grips aren't legal. I'm also going to run a strip of grip tape down the frontstrap.

Did you use the Cerakote C series or H series finish?

Update:

I've hit 1,000 perfect rounds through this gun without any cleaning. Eating 147gr precision deltas over 3.1gr of titegroup like candy. Nice not going to the start line wondering if the gun is going to run again.

Gonna go home and finally clean the gun. :)

DIY trigger job, 13lb GLOCK (for a 34, not an m&p) recoil spring, and a properly fitted SSS extractor were the ticket.

Im also running the fixed dawson rear sight and a .210 front, and light 147s are hitting point of aim perfectly. Not shooting 3" high at 25yd like the .180 front did.

Edited by MemphisMechanic