Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giving a tired old open gun one more chance.

JDBraddy

You can get the gun tuned up for some $$, but it's not going to fix the problem. The scope mount will help with finding the dot. The vibe I get from reading your post is that you sound frustrated, and sometimes just setting the gun down for a good time will get you back in the groove when you pick it up down the road.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Some people just don't take well to open guns. I have a friend that does really good with a Limited gun but he struggled with Open guns. He simply decided to stick with Limited. I would love to have your gun setup the way it is. The only change I would make to your gun would be to add an EGW magwell and shoot the hell out of it.

You might want to borrow a STI framed open gun and compare it to the Caspian. The grip may be more to your liking on the STI. Another thing to consider with open guns is to try as many powders as you can find. There is no one powder that works great with all guns or all shooters so take the time and try several different combos of bullet weight and powder types. It can get expensive with 3 different bullet weights and more than half a dozen powders to choose from but it will be the best investment you make in regards to shooting open.

Edited by JRBean

G-man bart on the first page wrote:

Not sure where you're seeing that, but the prices I've seen are about equal. Take two identical guns and the price for the 9 isn't going to be any higher. There was a brief period where it seemed like that was going to be a trend, but it didn't last long. I actually know a few folks that have rebarreled to 38SC now that many sources of free or inexpensive once-fired 9 have dried up. Still, I think rebarreling is a bit beyond the question at hand. Even an inexpensive rebarrel job is going to run $300+ and it won't increase the value of the gun that much, if any. R,

This is just me... but when I see a .38 Super/SC gun listed for sale in the classifieds, I might click on the thread, maybe just to satisfy my morbid curiousity... to see what the gun looks like.

If I see a 9mm Major gun listed, oh, yeah, I will definitely click on that link .

I am not jones-ing all that much for an open gun right now, but having seen my buddy Extremeshot and his dad go through with his dad's .38 Super gun and having to chase down that brass, all the time, I would just much rather have a 9mm Major open gun. Besides that, I have probably hundreds of pounds of 9mm Minor brass squirrel'ed away.

And since I came over from production initially with a Beretta, a gun that just runs and runs and runs, I am a little leery of buying someone else's Open gun nightmare. In my mind, swapping in a 9mm Major barrel just adds to the price of a .38 Super/SC gun and (erroneously??) makes me think there is a chance to turn it into a finnickey 9 Major Open gun. :(

Hello: You need to try some of the other open shooters pistols there. There are quite of few of them in San Antonio. I shot maybe 8-10 different open pistols and hated them all. They were loud and they felt like someone punched me between the eyes. The dot was hard to find and track for me. I then tried a 9mm open pistol and it felt very good., The first mod I did was the Quinn II mount and it is great for me. I can draw my Limited pistol and then the open pistol and still see the dot. I think part of it is being able to index off the slide just like the limited pistol. I think certain things have changed in regards to comps and barrels in the last couple of years. I do like shooting 9mm but I am still learning what powders,bullet weights and recoil springs to make it feel the best for me. I think you will enjoy open if you get a pistol that works well and is fun to shoot and also give it a little time. Thanks, Eric