Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 brass preparation

ejvette

Depends........ :wacko:

Resize them and put them in the case gauge.....then see what the overall length is. If you arent worried about super tight accuracy, you can usually load them a couple of times before you would have to trim them, but that depends on the individual gun and chamber(assuming this is for an AR).

If it is a bolt gun you can probably get away with just neck sizing if they are going back into the same gun. This is what little I know.....

DougC

If you are using factory 223 for example fiocchi 55 gr fmj or black hills 223 do you need to do any special case prep or can you just tumble and lube the once fired brass and start reloading ?

Ed

Examine the primer pockets for prior crimp that has not been removed. If present, you have to use a cutter or a swager to remove it, and I suggest the swager because one of the chief causes of brass becoming unusable is soft/enlarged primer pockets: Anything that toughens the area up is probably a good idea.

Examine brass for excess over all length. This is typically done with a case gauge. Most brass needs trimming after its first firing. RCBS X-Dies eliminate the need for trimming after the first trimming. Case trimming is the most irritating part of reloading rifle ammo. After trimming there is usually a burr on the inside and outside of the case mouth and it must be removed. There are very expensive trimmers that do all of it in an instant.

You might want to use a case gauge on cases after sizing

CDD

I tumble, lube, then deprime and full size. I found it is just as fast to trim all of them as check them. If it doesn't need trimming it just happens faster, next I have primer pocket reamer mounted in a drill press and I ream every primer pocket need it or not just as quick as checking.

Back in the tumbler to get the lube off. I use an RCBS media seperator to get the corn out and punch each primer hole out to clear it. Then I run them thru my hornady lnl primer, powder, seat, and crimp. Next to the drop check and finally into plastic dillon cases.

Curently loading 27g or BLC2 with a 55gr FMJ Federal.

When you start load about 10 rounds at different powder levels then go out and see how they group and hit then decide which amount of powder will be your load. A 1/2 gr either way will spread the group 2 inches and point of impact up or down 4 inches. I chose 27gr becuase it groups well and has same point of impact as PMC ammo, which I use so if I run out of reloads I can shoot PMC without re-Zeroing. Adding a comp to the rifle will also change how it shoots.

For best accuracy always use the same head stamp. I shoot carbine mathes mostly so it is not that critical. At 3 gun I just use the PMC.