Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Rifle 5.56 55gr ,69Gr, 77Gr

M ammo

Loaded for similar ballistics

I have been working loads for my 3 Gun Rifle 16inch 1x9 barrel.

As we all know ammunition prices are high. I shoot the 55gr bullets most of the time, they are also the cheapest.

I like the 69 grain bullets for longer shots, I hope that they might buck the wind better and give a flash target a better hit so that the RO can call my hit easier.

I have been using 2230 24.1 Gr's I use it for the 55's and the 69's I ran the chronograph and put the data in a ballistic calculator and they are very close out to 500 and good enough out to 600.

So I was doing some more testing with 77's I know that they are not supposed to shoot in a 1x9 but I gave it a try.

I got a 2 inch group at 200 yards,,, ran them through the chronograph and to my surprise.

All 3 bullets fly close enough out to 600 on the same powder charge.

I see it sounds like the same test when Galileo dropped two objects of different mass from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

With a 200 yard zero, the point of impact is close enough as well.

Now I get what I want, the right bullet for the job. For the match or stage that I am shooting.

Jim M ammo

Jim,

Are you saying you use the same 24.1gr of 2230 under all 3 weight bullets? How close are your groups with each different bullets compared to each other? I use the same powder, but am a tad lighter in charge under the 69's, wondering if maybe a bump up, after Benning of course, could help things out? I plan on using 62s at times as well since I have a few thousand lying here begging to be loaded up. How fast are they moving for the different bullets as well? I am using a 1 in 8 twist barrel, 20".

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by recon215

Jim,

Are you saying you use the same 24.1gr of 2230 under all 3 weight bullets? How close are your groups with each different bullets compared to each other? I use the same powder, but am a tad lighter in charge under the 69's, wondering if maybe a bump up, after Benning of course, could help things out? I plan on using 62s at times as well since I have a few thousand lying here begging to be loaded up. How fast are they moving for the different bullets as well? I am using a 1 in 8 twist barrel, 20".

Thanks,

Steve

I'm at work now and my data is at home,,, but yes 24.1 2230 the groups of the 3 different types,,, were similar.

the 55's are MG the 69's and 77's are Nosler competition. seeing the 69's and 77's are the same type,, that probably helps allot.

I shot the 55, 69 loads at the RM3G,,, it worked out well.. the one very long range stage,,, in the afternoon wind was a tough stage,,, At around 50 cents a round I'll only shoot the 77's when necessary

Jim M ammo