Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good neighbors!

Seth

My neighbor and I are buddies. He's about 20 years older than I am, never had any children and he and his wife make a good living. My wife and I spend a lot of time with them and they LOVE my 2 1/2 year old daughter. His wife must have bought clothes for my kid 10 times this year... and its not like we're destitute. I've been a stay at home parent for nearly 3 years. We do fine. Anyway....

I have been suffering through mowing my lawn with a POS push behind mower that runs about 1/2 the time. When it does run, its not powerful enough to cut the grass if its long or at all wet. I've been borrowing his mower once in a while if I get in a bind and have been looking at the classifieds for a good riding mower with no luck for a year.

Yesterday I get a phone call... come over when you get home. Over I trot and he's got a 20 year old riding mower with a fairly new Briggs motor in it sitting in the garage. I start to razz him about it and he says 'be nice... its yours'.... WHOA!!

Yep. He found this mower and gave it to me. I spent $25 in parts to get it running and mowed my lawn and leaves this am.

STEVE YOU ROCK!!!

Its great when you have neighbors like that. They have probably adopted you guys as their extended family and will be as good or better to you and for you than some of your own immediate family.

I have a neighbor that I have a similar relation with but not as close. When we go out of town, he watches out for our place and gets the mail and such. When they go back to upstate NY to visit we do the same for them, also have the occasional cookout with them in the spring and summer. Christmas finds little gifts at the door from the secret santa.

Nice to have people around you like that isnt it?

Gives hope that there is still humanity in this country.

See ya in December Seth.

My neighbors are gold. When the house got crushed last year the neighbors housed and fed us till we could get back rolling again. They did this when they themselves were struggling without power and a tree or two down in the yard.

During the middle of the hurricane when my neighbor across the street heard and felt the tree hit the house, donned his rainsuit and braved 70mph winds to see if we were injured.

I owe them a debt that is very hard to repay.

My neighbours are similar. Slightly older and childless. They've taken to my kids, and the kids prefer doing chores for them than us.

Al used to drive a snowplow in the winter, so his own driveway would be full of snow. We would make sure to look after thier driveway when we finished our own.