Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't insert magazine with closed bolt

saibot

Hi experts. I have a RRA AR15 than I cannot get to accept a magazine while the bolt is closed. If the mag only has a couple of rounds and I hammer it in sometimes it'll take it.

1. Is this normal behavior?

2. If not normal, what can I do about it?

Thanks!

If its not the mag

Then its an error or tolerance stack up

If so, it can be corrected by milling the top edge of the mag catch...just where the catch fits into the mag

This will drop the mag lower in the well... as little as .005 to .010 can cause this.

Jim

If its not the mag

Then its an error or tolerance stack up

If so, it can be corrected by milling the top edge of the mag catch...just where the catch fits into the mag

This will drop the mag lower in the well... as little as .005 to .010 can cause this.

Jim

I tried a few different mags (metal and pmags) and all seemed to do this.

Any chance you have an image of the part/place to alter?

Thanks, Jim!

The piece to alter is easy to find.

Look at your magazine and see where the hole is on the side (aluminum mags)

That is where the mag catch goes into the magazine and holds it into the gun.

Take off the top end of your AR15 and then insert the mag. Look and see where the piece is that is inside the magazine well and holds your magazine in.

If you take that part out, you file down the top part of it just a little, then try to insert your mag again after you reinstall the part.

You want to take only a little off at a time. If you take off too much, the bullets won't feed and you will have to buy a new part.

Randy

The piece to alter is easy to find.

Look at your magazine and see where the hole is on the side (aluminum mags)

That is where the mag catch goes into the magazine and holds it into the gun.

Take off the top end of your AR15 and then insert the mag. Look and see where the piece is that is inside the magazine well and holds your magazine in.

If you take that part out, you file down the top part of it just a little, then try to insert your mag again after you reinstall the part.

You want to take only a little off at a time. If you take off too much, the bullets won't feed and you will have to buy a new part.

Randy

Ahh. OK, I see. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Well that sounds like a pain in the ass. Have you called RRA? They might just do it for you for free.

Ya, it kind of is. I sent them an email but have yet to hear back. I'll probably have to call them if I want a response. May be quicker to attempt it myself.

Well that sounds like a pain in the ass. Have you called RRA? They might just do it for you for free.

Ya, it kind of is. I sent them an email but have yet to hear back. I'll probably have to call them if I want a response. May be quicker to attempt it myself.

call they seem pretty good about customer service i ordered a bunch of parts a while ago includeding a flash hider 2 days after i got the order they called me they had got some 9mm flash hiders in with there 223 ones and were calling everone that order one to make sure they got the right one good customer service for a 6 dollar part