Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rvolver division expansion ?

jmax

There is more freedom in equipment for ICORE than with either IPSC or IDPA. This is where we get to experiment and find what really works. Just look at the limitations placed on revolver shooters in IPSC or IDPA, these rules are great for retro matchs using equipment fro 20 years ago, ie speed loaders for 38's vs moon clips to just starters.

There is more freedom in equipment for ICORE than with either IPSC or IDPA. This is where we get to experiment and find what really works. Just look at the limitations placed on revolver shooters in IPSC or IDPA, these rules are great for retro matchs using equipment fro 20 years ago, ie speed loaders for 38's vs moon clips to just starters.

John, keep in mind that the USPSA revolver rules were significantly liberalized with this latest rulebook, due in large part to the efforts of our community here on the BE Revolver forum. We drafted the language for the new rule, took a poll, spread the word, lobbied the board, and got 'er done.

There was a strong consensus to keep USPSA revolvers 6-shot only, with no optics and no ports/comps. Otherwise, though, you can pretty much do what you want. For example, people can now experiment with different custom barrels, weight distribution, etc.

Mike,

What about our moon clipped 627's, those must be shot in production class or not at all and we are still limited to 625's or 6 shot, so much for liberalization. They need to recognize that 7 and 8 round moon clipped revolvers exist and are a very good thing, they are even practical too. I still shoot iron sights even in my advanced years but feel that optics should also be allowed. There are lots of classification codes available and worrying about 6 shot friendly in an IPSC match is a bit like expecting taxes to start going down after Nov 4. Drop the 6 round limit and allow 7 & 8 mooned revolvers in the other sports.

And yes I do have a 625 and also I run a retro match every year where even full moon clips are not allowed, just speed loaders or half/third moon clips. Everyone hates it but most show up for the reminder of where we began and where we are today. I shoot my 21-4 in this match as it is a learning event and I like to participate to the fullest. :D

USPA needs to come out of the shadows and recognize that technology for revolvers has evolved and it is good.

• 5 months later...
Mike,

What about our moon clipped 627's, those must be shot in production class or not at all and we are still limited to 625's or 6 shot, so much for liberalization. They need to recognize that 7 and 8 round moon clipped revolvers exist and are a very good thing, they are even practical too. I still shoot iron sights even in my advanced years but feel that optics should also be allowed. There are lots of classification codes available and worrying about 6 shot friendly in an IPSC match is a bit like expecting taxes to start going down after Nov 4. Drop the 6 round limit and allow 7 & 8 mooned revolvers in the other sports.

And yes I do have a 625 and also I run a retro match every year where even full moon clips are not allowed, just speed loaders or half/third moon clips. Everyone hates it but most show up for the reminder of where we began and where we are today. I shoot my 21-4 in this match as it is a learning event and I like to participate to the fullest. :D

USPA needs to come out of the shadows and recognize that technology for revolvers has evolved and it is good.

I agree that USPSA needs to update their revolver class. Nearly everyone I know shooting revolver has a S&W627. Why limit revos to 6 rounds. That's like limiting Limited class to 10 rounds. I won't shoot my revolver in USPSA or IDPA because of their unreasonable restrictions. Go ICORE!

I agree that USPSA needs to update their revolver class. Nearly everyone I know shooting revolver has a S&W627. Why limit revos to 6 rounds. That's like limiting Limited class to 10 rounds. I won't shoot my revolver in USPSA or IDPA because of their unreasonable restrictions. Go ICORE!

We had a big discussion on this topic back before the last USPSA rulebook came out, and there was an overwhelming consensus to keep the USPSA Revolver Division limits of six shots, and no ports/comps.

Although many of the top guns in the two sports happen to be the same guys, USPSA Revolver is a different game than ICORE. I really enjoy both, although when it comes right down to it, I prefer USPSA Revolver. Over the past twenty years, I've competed fairly seriously in almost every handgun competition discipline out there, and have never found anything quite as challenging as USPSA Revo. To my way of thinking, there's nothing quite like running a 32-round freestyle field course with an iron-sighted six-shooter, and finding ways to beat bunches of guys who are shooting hi-cap bottomfeeders. Just thinking about it makes me smile inside! But I love a tough challenge, and a sport that forces the shooter to think and make strategic decisions--and as we all know, you won't really find that in ICORE, or IDPA, or Steel Challenge. That being said, I sure wish we had ICORE available in my area, but we just don't have the population/shooter base here to support it.