Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 AMU Juniors Camp - Expectations Exceeded...

lneel

Nick and I just got back from Fort Benning. The weather was fantastic, we got to see some old friends and we had the best instructors in the world.

Nick was placed in a group of A class and Up kids.....I think there were 9 of them. The camp started off with the kids doing a rotation amongst the instructors. The parents (ALL of THEM) were made to leave the range for a field trip to the Army Infrantry Museum. This was done as appearantly last year some of the parents "helped" with the instructors and they wanted to have at least one full day with no interuptions. Anyway, the museum was great and we got to watch an IMAX movie on Lewis and Clark. Very interesting....

Ok, back to the shooting........the kids were instructed Friday and Saturday with a 6 stage match shot on Sunday with their designated coach providing guidance. Nick's coach was a guy who seems to know what he is doing....let me think......oh yeah, his name is Travis Tomasie. :surprise:

While the parents were "out" of pocket on Friday, we were treated to a class with Rob Leatham on Saturday. While he spent most of his time with the newer shooters, I was still able to learn a few things from him. I was also able to win a plate rate man on man shootoff. Pretty cool.....

The kids shot the 6 stage match on Sunday with all the parents doing the taping and resetting.....While Nick had (1) Mike on each of his first two stages he actually turned in a fantastic performance. Not only did he beat ALL the kids....he beat EVERYONE. Lee Dimaculangan, Travis Tomasie, Robby Johnson, Shane Cooley, and Daniel Horner were all shooting. Daniel was 97% of Nick and the closest kid was 89%. Smoking fast and the AMU team were all very happy for him as was I. Great trip, great training and good to build those relationships. I think all the kids had a great time.

This camp was put on by the AMU with sponsorship from MGM Targets, Glock, Remington, Dillon, DPMS, Rob Leatham, Danner and a few others. They will all be receiving a hand written thank you note from us. These are companies and individuals who really care about the future of our sport and we appreciate them all.

Lee

Nick and I just got back from Fort Benning. The weather was fantastic, we got to see some old friends and we had the best instructors in the world.

Nick was placed in a group of A class and Up kids.....I think there were 9 of them. The camp started off with the kids doing a rotation amongst the instructors. The parents (ALL of THEM) were made to leave the range for a field trip to the Army Infrantry Museum. This was done as appearantly last year some of the parents "helped" with the instructors and they wanted to have at least one full day with no interuptions. Anyway, the museum was great and we got to watch an IMAX movie on Lewis and Clark. Very interesting....

Ok, back to the shooting........the kids were instructed Friday and Saturday with a 6 stage match shot on Sunday with their designated coach providing guidance. Nick's coach was a guy who seems to know what he is doing....let me think......oh yeah, his name is Travis Tomasie. :surprise:

While the parents were "out" of pocket on Friday, we were treated to a class with Rob Leatham on Saturday. While he spent most of his time with the newer shooters, I was still able to learn a few things from him. I was also able to win a plate rate man on man shootoff. Pretty cool.....

The kids shot the 6 stage match on Sunday with all the parents doing the taping and resetting.....While Nick had (1) Mike on each of his first two stages he actually turned in a fantastic performance. Not only did he beat ALL the kids....he beat EVERYONE. Lee Dimaculangan, Travis Tomasie, Robby Johnson, Shane Cooley, and Daniel Horner were all shooting. Daniel was 97% of Nick and the closest kid was 89%. Smoking fast and the AMU team were all very happy for him as was I. Great trip, great training and good to build those relationships. I think all the kids had a great time.

This camp was put on by the AMU with sponsorship from MGM Targets, Glock, Remington, Dillon, DPMS, Rob Leatham, Danner and a few others. They will all be receiving a hand written thank you note from us. These are companies and individuals who really care about the future of our sport and we appreciate them all.

Lee

Lee,

Sounds like a great event - thanks for the report. Was hoping to get my son there this year, but timing just didn't work out. Congrats to Nick on such an outstanding performance - probably the first time a student came out on top of everybody at the post-clinic match. I've seen Nick shoot a few stages over the past year or so and he is always very impressive to watch. Is the AMU in his future or does he have other plans?

Doug

If he can get on the AMU team I am sure he would do that in a heartbeat. That would be a fantastic opportunity and privilege. He is only 16 (17 in a couple of days) though so it will be a year and a half or so at the earliest.

Lee

Expectations exceeded... Most definitely! :cheers: Young Mr. Neel was impressive at the stage I was RO'ing. He will be an asset to the AMU!

It was impressive to see the improvement of so many of the juniors that also attended camp last year. Blake Manning, Nick Weidhass, Tori Nonaka, Wyatt Gibson, to name a few. I'm certain the instruction by the AMU soldiers had a lot to do with it. These guys can teach!!

Parents, if you can give your junior shooter the opportunity to do this. It's worth every minute and penny!

For attendees, I started a thread in THE GALLERY for videos and photos. CLICK HERE

Expectations exceeded... Most definitely! :cheers: Young Mr. Neel was impressive at the stage I was RO'ing. He will be an asset to the AMU!

It was impressive to see the improvement of so many of the juniors that also attended camp last year. Blake Manning, Nick Weidhass, Tori Nonaka, Wyatt Gibson, to name a few. I'm certain the instruction by the AMU soldiers had a lot to do with it. These guys can teach!!

Parents, if you can give your junior shooter the opportunity to do this. It's worth every minute and penny!

For attendees, I started a thread in THE GALLERY for videos and photos. CLICK HERE

Are the results posted yet?

Nelson,

Agree 100% based on the feedback from Lisa and Nick. Have heard GREAT things about the junior camp. Lisa says it is amazing to watch these kids grow and mature into such fine young men and women. I hear that Francisco is especially impressive! He's a credit to your family and his fine upbringing.

Nick got home last night and kept me laughing with all the stories. This is an awesome opportunity for our kids... and I don't have words for how grateful I am to MGM, the AMU and all the sponsors. That's two of these clinics I wish I could have seen.

Lee,

Congrats on your boy's fine performance. I remember watching him at Nationals and being impressed. He is really quick!