Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with ETM mags and the ICE magwell

steel1212

I've been using the ICE on my 9mm 1911 the problem is that the ETMs fit flush with the bottom of the magwell. I put on some of the standard pads but the over insertion stop doesn't hit the frame like it should and I'm worried about damaging my ejector on a slide lock reload.

I was thinking about using these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=73293 on the bottom for a little extra length. Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Wilson 47DE's

Trim them to fit the box and you are good to go, but with these large magwells, the extra large basepad is a MUST

Looking at the basepads in the link above, I don't think those are deep enough to really make the difference. I think you might be able to purchase the base[ad only from Wilson, but not sure

Edited by zhunter

Wilson 47DE's

Trim them to fit the box and you are good to go, but with these large magwells, the extra large basepad is a MUST

Looking at the basepads in the link above, I don't think those are deep enough to really make the difference. I think you might be able to purchase the base[ad only from Wilson, but not sure

Z stop reading just the title :roflol:

I put on some of the standard pads but the over insertion stop doesn't hit the frame like it should and I'm worried about damaging my ejector on a slide lock reload.

The standard pads would be far enough out and not need trimming and still fit the box but do to the nature of the ETM mags, they are longer than regular .45 wilsons and the basepad wraps up around the bottom to allow for the extra 9mm round, the standard or the extended pads won't stop the mag from smacking the ejector on slide stop reloads.

Edited by steel1212

Corey, check the standard base pads with the slide locked back. Insert the mag and see how close it comes to the ejector - push hard to see if it comes close. Not sure about a 9mm, but on most of the 45's I've seen, there's still some room before they can make contact with the ejector.

Corey, check the standard base pads with the slide locked back. Insert the mag and see how close it comes to the ejector - push hard to see if it comes close. Not sure about a 9mm, but on most of the 45's I've seen, there's still some room before they can make contact with the ejector.

Oh it will hit. Like schroed just posted the ETM mags are longer and have a taller over insertion stop.

I've tried adhesives to attach extra material to the base pad but the plastic material refuses to stick.

It must be an olefin type plastic if that is the case, mechanical means is about the only other option.

Not sure if there is enough material in the base pad to do this. Other issues was the raised lettering

on the base pad creates an uneven surface. Just be easier if Wilson made a longer pad for ETM's.