Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think that this is a good thing

chbrow10

I know that I should be able to tell if I am improving without comparing myself to others, but let me run this by y'all.

I have competed in two major matches this year, one in May and one in October. Both matches were won (in my division) by the same guy. He's a Master class shooter in my division, GM in all others, so the guy can shoot. In May 2009, my final total hit factor was 56.31% of his, in October of 2009 my total hit factor was 65.59% of his.

I suppose that he could have had a bad match, but he still won. That is objective evidence of me improving, right?

What do y'all think?

I know that I should be able to tell if I am improving without comparing myself to others, but let me run this by y'all.

I have competed in two major matches this year, one in May and one in October. Both matches were won (in my division) by the same guy. He's a Master class shooter in my division, GM in all others, so the guy can shoot. In May 2009, my final total hit factor was 56.31% of his, in October of 2009 my total hit factor was 65.59% of his.

I suppose that he could have had a bad match, but he still won. That is objective evidence of me improving, right?

What do y'all think?

you can't really compare it to another individual because:

he could have had a bad match

you could have had a really good match

only 2 matches is not a good sample size

he should be getting better, as you should, with more experience and practice

someone who is a d class shooter should see bigger improvements with a little practice,

m level you are trying to fine tune your skills and try to cut tenths of a second off everything

etc.etc.

I think the way to look at is to think to yourself and be honest do you feel that you have gotten better. If you were to beat him and he had a bad match would you say you had gotten better? If you were to beat that guy consistently I think that would be a different story. remember you are only as good as your last match.