Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp handguard, barrel retainer lock nut question

Bob Ghengis Khan

I'm installing a full length VTAC handguard. The instructions call for applying anti seize compound to the barrel retainer lock nut and screwing it into the extension nut, then letting the rifle sit overnight to let the Loctite cure. Why does the lock nut go on in this step, when it has to be taken off 24 hrs later to put the barrel on after the loctite cures?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding when the barrel actually goes on

Edited by Bob Ghengis Khan

You put the lock nut into the receiver nut to hold the alignment for the gas tube hole while the loctite dries. You might can get away without it, but you run the risk of mis-alignment. Not something you want to deal with when red loctite is involved.

I had read that post today when I did a search, but to be sure, do you take the retainer nut off after the loctite sets to put the barrel in, or is the barrel supposed to be on the whole 24 hrs? And lefty, is that because of a concern the outer nut will shift during the drying time, and putting in the retainer nut helps prevent it from shifting?

Edited by Bob Ghengis Khan

I had read that post today when I did a search, but to be sure, do you take the retainer nut off after the loctite sets to put the barrel in, or is the barrel supposed to be on the whole 24 hrs? And lefty, is that because of a concern the outer nut will shift during the drying time, and putting in the retainer nut helps prevent it from shifting?

i did the pin route like gentleman jim suggested...came right off the next day.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have always set the loctite without the barrel in place. After 24 hours, pull it apart, put the barrel in and reassemble. Just make sure the index pin goes into the receiver correctly.