Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Ramped 9mm Barrel

m1normando

I have a high quality custom 1911 built with a non-ramped 9mm Briley barrel and seeking educated input on it's limitations regarding acceptable load pressures?

What is the cutoff point between "safe" with non-ramped barrel before making the transition to a ramped barrel?

Also, any thoughts on hollowpoints feeding reliability in non-ramped vs. ramped barrels would be appreciated.

I am considering re-barreling to a ramped barrel and welcome any and all input!

TIA

I have a high quality custom 1911 built with a non-ramped 9mm Briley barrel and seeking educated input on it's limitations regarding acceptable load pressures?

What is the cutoff point between "safe" with non-ramped barrel before making the transition to a ramped barrel?

Also, any thoughts on hollowpoints feeding reliability in non-ramped vs. ramped barrels would be appreciated.

I am considering re-barreling to a ramped barrel and welcome any and all input!

TIA

It really depends on how the barrel was made and how they cut the chamber. I have a very old Bar-Sto .38 Super barrel and was worried about that so I called and spoke to one of the Irvs (think it was III?). He said if you put their old non-ramped next to their newest ramped barrel the amount of case support was virtually identical and that they'd both handle the same amount of pressure.

It really just comes down to how much of the case is left exposed in the feed ramp area. If that goes up high into the web area of the case you could run into problems because that's where the case wall is getting thinner towards the normal thickness walls. The best bet would be to section a 9mm case so you can see how high the thick web goes, and then compare that with how much exposed area you see when a case is in the chamber. If it's supported well down into the web, you're fine and aren't really losing any pressure resistance over a ramped barrel...some of which have a ramp that cuts well into the support for the case. R,

• 2 weeks later...
Do the unramped guns run as well as their ramped counterparts?

Are you asking about 9mm guns or just in general? If they're done right traditional 1911's without a ramp will run perfectly. I've got .45 and .38 Super guns without ramps and they're both extremely reliable. Still, it's probably easier to make a reliable gun if it's got a ramp...no seam between ramp and frame to mess with. R,

Do the unramped guns run as well as their ramped counterparts?

Are you asking about 9mm guns or just in general? If they're done right traditional 1911's without a ramp will run perfectly. I've got .45 and .38 Super guns without ramps and they're both extremely reliable. Still, it's probably easier to make a reliable gun if it's got a ramp...no seam between ramp and frame to mess with. R,

Yeah I was asking about 9mm specifically. I think 1911's actually run better in .45 without a ramp but better in .40 with one.