Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High cap CDP Build

sigfla

I am pretty sure this is legal but I wanted an opinion. If I take an STI Tactical frame and 4.1' slide and fit a match bull barrel cut back to the slide so it doesn't go beyond 4.2 inches would it be CDP legal?

I am assuming the weight would not be an issue. I wanna go with a high cap CDP frame so I no longer have to use a Barney mag when loading 9. I figure a commander length gun will be under weight even with a bull barrel.

The tactical frame will be as long as the slide and you may get some complaints about "full length dust cover", even though it's not a full length dust cover if it were on a 5" gun.

I cut my frame back to standard length to avoid confusion.

post-8536-1256674690_thumb.jpg

Edited by want2race

I'm not familiar with the material in the Tactical frame. The Rule Book states, specifically for CDP, under excluded modifications... "Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel". If the Tactical frame is polymer... good to go full length. If it is steel (carbon or stainless) then if you cut the dust cover back 1/2 inch you are also good to go (at least in this SOs opinion). Another question is whether this dust cover is a "modification" as opposed to a factory installed feature. I'll leave that to others to discuss. But, if in doubt, cut a half inch off the dust cover. Shouldn't affect squat... but will make the gun legal. And, the Rule Book specifically states that " High capacity pistols can be used as long as the pistol meets ALL division criteria".

Chris Christian

Nice that is kinda what I am looking to do. How do you like it like that? Looks like the piece you cut off was part slide and barrel also. Did you shave some off the front end along with the dustcover? Nice looking gun btw.

The tactical frame will be as long as the slide and you may get some complaints about "full length dust cover", even though it's not a full length dust cover if it were on a 5" gun.

I cut my frame back to standard length to avoid confusion.

Factory installed cone style barrels are legal in CDP on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2 inches or less.

Chris Christian

Does that work for ESP too? I am looking at getting a 2011 STI for ESP but want to make sure whats legal.

T

Strictly gaming: Shorter slide and barrel will transition faster. Shorter slide cycles faster since it weighs less. The target distance in IDPA makes the shorter sight radius a moot point.

Those are hypotheticals of course.

For me, I built a carry gun that I happen to shoot IDPA with.