Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 3-Gunning Shotshell Data

RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks,

I have a question for you shotshell loaders out there.

When you are 3-gunning with slugs, what are yall using?

I have a good quantity of Lyman 525 grain sabot slugs, but was wondering at what FPS I should load them at? (Hot for distance, or slow for controled recoil)? Or are you guys going with the lighter, Foster, 475 grain slugs?

And what about target loads? What size shot, weight, and FPS are you using?

I'm tyring set up my shotshell reloading for 3-gunning, and would like to know the "WHY'S" behind your madness.

Just curious to see what are in your minds.

I will be using a smooth bore, unless convinced to do otherwise.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

While I do not reload for my shotty,in matches....i use the Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 1oz slugs going 1200fps.

And for birdshot....I like the Remington SPS or Winchester AA #9 going 1200fps. I prefer #9 shot because it gives such a dense pattern and responds well to choke changes for pattern. I will shoot #7.5 or #8 if #9 is not available but try hard to get my hands on #9s.

ETA: the loads I mention are 3 dram and 1 1/8oz shot

For practice.....I shoot whatever is on sale.

Low recoil slugs and buckshot seems to be the norm, for shot I prefer 7.5s, 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8oz. Remington heavy dove loads. i used to shoot 6s for steel and 8's for clays, but have gone to just 7.5s for everything.

For practice, just like Toddy, what ever I have or is on sale.

trapr

Thanks, guys!

Thank was exactly what I was looking for.

I will try your loads and see how they work for me.

For "Field Loads" I will try: 1 1/8 oz, #8, 1,230 FPS.

For "Slug Loads" I will try: Lyman 525 gr sabot slugs @ 1,328 FPS.

I am kinda finicky when it comes to smokeless powders. I have two very specific criteria for my smokeless powders - feel and cleanliness.

FEEL: For my 1911 pistols, and my bolt action .308 rounds, I like the hotter, faster burning powders. I like the "snappyiness" of it. I shoot more accurate with "snappy powders". (If I should flinch...too late...the round is already on it's way downrange). It's a military thing. But for my .357 snubby, I prefer the "swooooooosh" of a slower-burning powder. It is more controlable to me, and I shoot better with it. (I tried hot, snappy, powders with my .357 snubby...and it hurt like heck)! :(

CLEANLINESS: I have also noticed that faster burning powders leave less residue, as they are more completely burned upon firing. I was using AA No5 in my 1911, at a below recommended FPS...and it was horrible. I had never seen so much fouling on my 1911 before. But after loading it hotter (to burn OFF all the podwer), it was much cleaner. But you could still feel the slight "swooooosh" during the firing, as it was still on the slower-burning side of the list.

Bottom line, I like looking at the different powders. I look for the fastest one for my load, and then the slowest one for my load, and go right in between. (Actually, a super little on the slower side).

So looking at the shotgun loads, it looks like I will be trying UNIVERSAL POWDER as a starter...and I will go from there.

I also weighed my Lyman 525 grain sabot slugs...and they are on the light side. (500 grains). So I will keep this in mind, and look for a little variance in the FPS that is expected.

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted of my madness.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

The Lyman slugs can use either smooth or rifled barrels.. smooth bore barrels will not throw them into a group so much as a pattern, so it's good to know what your gun will do in advance. I'm casting the Lee 1 ounce Key Slugs for myself and I get about an 8" pattern at 50 yards.. at least I'm mostly on paper with a bead sight. Rifle sights might do better. I am actually only loading mine to just make power factor. Those 525's at 1328 fps are going to be thumpers. 697 PF by my calcs.. if you want to make PF, you just need make 520, so velocity should be about wow.. 990 fps.. so 1150 fps would be plenty.. 525 gr slugs are just under 1 1/4 ounces.. (1.2 actually). You want to make a hole in the target, not tear your shoulder off ;)

I'm loading the 1oz LEE slug with 19gr of Promo, 7/8oz wad, and 1/8" felt spacer on top in Winchester hulls. I get just over 1,200 fps and 5-6" groups at 50 yards with a rib and bead. I'm not sure that is a book load anywhere, so use it at your own risk. I just went off of shot data and worked it up.